Blu-Ray RW; 350W PSU

tyruk

Beta member
I want to invest in a Blu-Ray RW drive, internal. Will a 350W PSU be able to handle an optical drive like that?

If this is a ridiculous question, please go easy on me.

Sure.
I doubt it'd use much more power than a DVD-RW drive

The only problem would be if the specs of the system it is running in was pretty low spec, as it might have trouble playing HD content

Should be fine, but do not get the RW drive. Just get a reader for now, the burners are still way too expensive, and there is not much use for them.

Foothead, can you explain why a Blu-Ray writer I saw runs off IDE? Surely, they should be running off Sata?

Foothead, can you explain why a Blu-Ray writer I saw runs off IDE? Surely, they should be running off Sata?

Where did you see this? My guess would be that it is for people who don't have sata ports on their computer. A lot of people will just use an old computer for a HTPC, and just throw in some old AGP hdcp compliant card. They would be the only people I can think of that could possibly create enough demand for one to be made.

Blu ray is more useful in a HTPC than a regular desktop. Since most people use old stuff to build their HTPCs, it makes sense. I am sure there were a lot of noobs begging for it too.

I guess so, but I would have thought playing HD content would have required quite a bit more horse power, than for example playing a DVD, though haha, I'm forgetting that IDE only motherboards probably supported fast enough processors for it, as long as a video card capable of supporting it.

Well the 4670 came in AGP, and that should be plenty powerful enough for blu-ray playback. There is also a 4650 which would be a good choice.

Idk, I can see it working pretty well.

Back
Top Bottom