5.1 surround sound - PC

xlaurenjaynex

Beta member
Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked a million times.

Yesterday I purchased a Sony surround sound system - I've hooked it up from the DVD player via red and yellow audio outputs into my computers green audio jack in the back.

I've gone onto configure the speakers and set them to 5.1 surround sound but when I do the test it's only playing sounds on the left and right speaker.

Any ideas where I'm going wrong? I don't see how else I can connect the speakers to the computer.

Also I can't set it through my TV as my computer is connected to my tv with HDMI and I can't get audio to work on it - been using a iPod dock speaker until now!

Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks.

I think the problem here is that you only have 2 cords connected to your computer, (not counting USB)
Surrounds sound need 3 cords. Front, Rear and Center. sure it's hooked up properly?
the manual will surely have a chapter that talks about hooking it up to a computer.

is the Sony surround sound system a set with speakers and a DVD player? if so that might be the problem.
usually you have the speakers connected to a receiver which is then connected to the DVD player and all other media things you have, like PlayStation, Xbox, Computer all that good stuff.

Thanks for replying.

Yeah all the speakers plug into the DVD player and then have to be output from there

I've just had a look at the manual -
http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/DAV-TZ140/manuals

Just shows you how to connect with a skybox/ps3 & TV.

But I've been googling and you're right the problem is to get 5.1 I think I'd need to connect 3 audio cables into my computer (as far as I know I only have 1 audio input on my sound card) so I'll just have to make do :(!

Thanks anyway :).

Now to spend the rest of my day formatting my external HD to FAT32. Why can't you just plug things in and they work!? Haha.

Back
Top Bottom