svhost.exe Infected With Trojan, Can I delete it?

guitardude777

In Runtime
NOD32 is telling me "File C:\WINDOWS\system32\svhost.exe is infected with probably a variant of Win32/IRCBot trojan. The file can be deleted. It is strongly recommended that you back up any crucial data before you proceed." Can I delete it? If I can't because things will get screwed up, how do I get rid of the trojan?

Is it svhost.exe or is it : svchost.exe and yes their is a difference. Also, I wouldnt go and delete files just yet. You should download hijack this and see what it detects and I would recommend scanning your system with another AV software keep NOD32 obviously, but scan system with kaspersky then from their if you need to boot into safe mode and remove it the "proper way".

go ahead. nod32 is the best there is no prob

I have to disagree with you on this one. It's not the best. ;) http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,130869/article.html

also, informing members to delete files off of their system when you yourself doesnt even know what the file does AND for all you know it could also be binded with kernel32.dll file, which must be present in all win32-based applications.

Is it svhost.exe or is it : svchost.exe and yes their is a difference. Also, I wouldnt go and delete files just yet. You should download hijack this and see what it detects and I would recommend scanning your system with another AV software keep NOD32 obviously, but scan system with kaspersky then from their if you need to boot into safe mode and remove it the "proper way".

I have to disagree with you on this one. It's not the best. ;) http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,130869/article.html

also, informing members to delete files off of their system when you yourself doesnt even know, you can very easily make a system unstable.

NOD32 scores within 1% of the other vendors. IMHO NOD32 is the best out their, and has the best response time to new virus's.

svhost.exe (not svchost.exe) is a common virus and you should have no problem deleting it.

kaspersky

It is also the fastest at delivering new signatures out of the eight tested programs, with an average response time of 0 to 2 hours.

NOD32

NOD32's overall malware detection rate wasn't stellar, however. When pitted against AV-Test.org's nearly 900,000-strong "zoo" of Trojans, viruses, and other malware, NOD32 caught only 90 percent, compared to the 96 percent rate of top performers Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6, Symantec Norton AntiVirus 2007, and BitDefender Antivirus 10. It fared surprisingly poorly with 32-bit Windows viruses (approximately 1 in 11 samples in the zoo), catching only 73 percent.

DJ Chris needs to read the FULL REPORT not just the titles. ;)

Also,
svhost.exe (not svchost.exe) is a common virus and you should have no problem deleting it.

Ummm for the record they BOTH can be binded and exploited. Also, a lot of code writers write exploits, that is most exploits favor the use of kernel32.dll why do they favor kernel32.dll probably because kernel32.dll must be present in all win32-based applications.;)

;)

Cheers,0x0161

PC world has never given me any bad advice,nor will they tell you to do something that will harm your system!JMHO>Marvin

id delete it. svchost.exe is the windows one and svhost is a known virus. also run hijack this after nod32 to make sure its all cleaned up

Back
Top Bottom