need antivirus and firewall combo

Mal1

In Runtime
I just made a media pc - the third pc of the house - i'm looking for an AV+FW combo that is preferably free since I'm already paying two license fees (NOD32 or as its now called eset smart security center) and dont really want to get any more (media pc data isn't worth money to protect in the same way as a normal desktop).

I wondered what are the 'best' options. Given that best is entirely subjective, my criteria for AV is daily signature updates, customisable system scans and scheduling options.
Criteria for FW is a little more complex. I would like fully customisable application preferences - i.e. what direction it can communicate, what local port it can receive/send data on, what remote computers it is allowed to access and their ports, logging facilities (these can be pretty standard since not much usually happens behind my router anyway - the application controls I use for port forwarding etc). Other than that, just the usuals.

Any help is much appreciated, having used nod for so long I have no idea where everyone else is in the market.

Thanks in advance.

My personal opinion is that NOD32 is the best, but there are other programs out there that are very good. Comodo Firewall Pro is a good one, besides having a firewall it can also scan for viruses and trojans.
Another option for a firewall is Zone Alarm free edition although it doesn't have as many features as Comodo. A good free antivirus to go along with Zone Alarm would be Avast, Avira or AVG.

Thanks for that, I'll give comodo a try and see.

---NEW POST---

Good call on comodo, just installed and it only took 5 minutes to set up how I wanted it. Almost perfect 'straight out of the box'.
Most impressive of all is the fact it is set up to ask about all traffic (inbound and outbound) by default, most applications allow outbound port 80 by default and a lot of others that they probably shouldn't. Excellent product, will definitely be using it more in the future.

Back
Top Bottom