Hard drive password giving me problems

BrianS

In Runtime
I have recently replaced the hard drive in my laptop and it works wonderful. I now want to use my old 2.5 inch drive as a external harddrive. Well, I bought a 2.5" external case for it. I slid the drive in it and it works perfectly except for one thing. I have always password protected my user account in windows. Now when I try to get into My Documents on the old drive just to make sure there is nothing left there before I format it, I get an error saying:

E:\Documents and Settings\Brian is not accessible.

Access is denied.

I know the password I used for it, but there has to be some other way to get past that than to actually pull the drive out of the external drive, put it back in my laptop and then remove the password and then install both drives again. Any suggestions.

I know this really isn't "hacking/security" in the sense of network security, but I believe this would probably be the best place to ask since it does deal with personal security. lol

Let me know what you think. Thanks.
Brian

Try this
Go download a bootable linux distribution. Knoppix, slax, heck the latest ubuntu installation CD is a live cd. Mount the hard drive(if you use slax or knoppix it will probably do this automagically). Then copy whatever files you need out of the directory to where you need them.

i'm not sure whether this will work but if you go into setup on bootup you might be able to boot the windows off the external harddrive meaning you can remove the password and make it accessible without moving it back into your laptop. hope this works/helps :D

Back
Top Bottom