Computer working at full load but system is idle??

AleksIsBored

Beta member
First off, this is my first time ever posting in a forum of any kind, so excuse me if I do something wrong and correct me so that I can meet all expectations next time.

I'm having two problems, not sure if they are related or not.

Background information:
I built my own computer in October 2012 (Under a year ago) and was very pleased with the results. I can run all the most demanding games with mods at all the highest settings with absolutely no lags.

Problem One:

After about a month, my computer started taking forever to start up. It would load everything up to the desktop screen and then I'd have to wait 10-15 minutes on the desktop screen until I could use my computer normally. But after that it works no problem. When I just built my computer it would load up 20 seconds flat.

Yes the obvious answer would be to check my startup programs, but my laptop which is a slow piece of ***t has more startup programs and I can use it after just two minutes. I tried checking MSCONFIG and I hardly have anything there. I was wondering how this could be solved.

Problem Two:

This one I only encountered twice, one of the times being today.

I was watching YouTube videos and was noticing that the video would lag after every 10 seconds or so. Suspecting a CPU or RAM problem, I looked in the task manager. Sure enough 90 percent of my CPU AND 15GB of my RAM were being used up o_O I closed all the programs, nothing changed. I looked in the processes tab and only one program was using any of my CPU and it only said 01. Then I added up all the RAM usage, it didn't even total one GB.

My computer isn't telling me what is using up all of this CPU and RAM, I decided to try and restart my computer. When I shut it down, it was trying to shut down for 30+ minutes until I decided to hold the power button and kill it. Then it started up and worked normally.

This has happened once before. If it is a virus, then why did it only happen twice?

I am using a free version of BitDefender and it isn't finding any problems. Do you recommend a better antivirus maybe? If this happens again, is there anyway to see what it using all this memory?

Last edited:
Trying this PC Cleanup Toolbox. Didn't know I had almost 200GB of just Temp files o_O Aren't those supposed to delete themselves?

No, you have to clean them up.

Not completely true. The correct answer is it depends. Some programs will cache stuff there and automatically remove it when no longer needed (like partial downloads in IE, or cookies). It's also used as an unpacking ground for installers while they put things into the right spot and a good installer will clean that up.

1. Download "Webroot Secure Anywhere" - it is antivirus + firewall, even better than Kaspersky, uses just a small amount of resources, downloading application is less than 2Mb, I even thought what the ** is that, another worthless cheap trick how to drag clients? But... as before all my lifetime I used tons of different TOP antiviruses my most loved product was "MalwareBytes" and "Super Anti Spyware" + sometimes Eset NOD, sometimes with Kaspersky, now I just found "Webroot Secure Anywhere" product 15 day trial, installation process shortest in a world :) this antivirus updates are "cloud" (updates everytime than new viruses a found) you do not need to wait any daily update, I actually never felt that this antivirus sucking my traffic, and this antivirus founds more than Kaspersky+Malvarebytes together. I can gurantee for everyone who could download and install tis product would really find undetected viruses. Those undetectible viruses are the most dangerous, they staying and collecting information for years, than after five years strikes and sucks your all electronic bank budget. They tracking when you are active near pc, they tracking when you are not, and after one night you may miss lot of money. Or they may hitch someone's crime on your name (steal bills through your electronic bank)

2. Use program which allows to completely uninstall even not uninstallable programs one good i use "Total Uninstall"

3. Use "Tune Up Utilities" start up manager function would show you all processes who are processing at every startup, you may allow to start on startup or disable. Disabling the most junk will greatly increase your startup.

4. Perform other options via Tune up utilities (Registry clean, registry defrag, check hard drive errors - the most long process, defrag all hard drive, and try everything else with tuneup. You also may try "System Mechanic Professional" - sometimes even better than tuneup.

5. If problems still persists, you have nasty adwares such as toolbars and plugins etc.. only complete clear windows rewriting could help with all hard drive formatting. If you do not have time for your own personal data backup, but your hard drive is splitted in two partitions, one for windowses another for your data, you can rewrite and format on windows partition, It would do the most good. You will not loose any data if you will not remove own partition during installation of windows, only windows installation partition can be removed recreated and reformatted in order to keep your personal files still.

Also worth listening to your pc next time it takes a long time to boot and/or shutdown - see if you can hear the hard drive seeking and re-seeking (anything rhythmic rather than irregular - assuming you have a HDD and not SSD).

If anything sounds odd it may be bad sectors on your drive. It is not uncommon for drives to have bad sectors before they even leave the factory, so being a year old doesn't really affect this very much.

If you know anyone with a copy of SpinRite then ask to borrow it for a run and see if that clears things up, it is not freeware ($89 from grc.com) but worth every bit for keeping drives running for many many years error free.

Good luck.

Also worth listening to your pc next time it takes a long time to boot and/or shutdown - see if you can hear the hard drive seeking and re-seeking (anything rhythmic rather than irregular - assuming you have a HDD and not SSD).

If anything sounds odd it may be bad sectors on your drive. It is not uncommon for drives to have bad sectors before they even leave the factory, so being a year old doesn't really affect this very much.

If you know anyone with a copy of SpinRite then ask to borrow it for a run and see if that clears things up, it is not freeware ($89 from grc.com) but worth every bit for keeping drives running for many many years error free.

Good luck.

Or just run chkdisk, might as well do Memtest86 while you're at it

I had the second problem very recently myself.

The cause was windows sleep. So I opened task manager, went to processes and killed it. PC was fine after that.

I am still working on a more long term solution but this will need to be done every time you encounter the issue.

Mossiac

Back
Top Bottom