yahoo passwords changed?

Jk

In Runtime
Ok heres the story, I get a call from my friend and he tells me to give him his password back but i didnt take it. He retrives it by using the "forgot my password button" and the password was changed to a bunch of scrambled letters (something like this 12ds654a1). I think his got changed because my internet has been quite slow and he logged on on my comp. so maybe it was being hacked? He also tells me that his sisters is jacked too but her password is being changed like every 10 seconds. Then i go and check mine and both of my emails were changed but i cant remember the answer to my secret questions, so i guess im kinda screwed, but my internet is still being pretty slow and before I make another one i want to get rid of whoever is jacking all my yahoo id's and/or making my internet slow. How can I find the cause of this. Mcafee didnt report anyone trying to access my ports and i did a port check and they are all secure. Spytrooper didnt find any keyloggers or anything suspicious other than some cookies. Thanks in advance

hmm that is weird, i dont think yahoo would change all of them. make sure all of your anti-virus and spyware is upto date.

Well, i dont think that yahoo did it i think that a hacker did it, i checked all my stuff and its up to date. Its somewhat weird too because some people that logged on to my computer to check their email got jacked but some didnt. I don't think it is a keylogger becasue i even tried another computer and it was faster but it eventually is as slow on the internet too. If a hacker had my ip adress and found a weakness in my mcafee then it wouldnt matter which comp i used would it? Could this be a possibility? Would there be a way to change my ip adress and see if that helps?

I don't think its a hacker, I think you have had too many people on your computer, logging into their accounts. Do you use the automatic password saving feature of IE, FF, O, or NS? Has your password been compromised? Have you given it to anyone? It sounds like something strange is going on, and yes, there may be someone behind it, but I don't think it's a hacker. Have you tried communicating with Yahoo about it? Has anyone else? I would send an email to them if possible, from a different account (MSN, your ISP, etc.)

pctechmike said:
I don't think its a hacker, I think you have had too many people on your computer, logging into their accounts. Do you use the automatic password saving feature of IE, FF, O, or NS? Has your password been compromised? Have you given it to anyone? It sounds like something strange is going on, and yes, there may be someone behind it, but I don't think it's a hacker. Have you tried communicating with Yahoo about it? Has anyone else? I would send an email to them if possible, from a different account (MSN, your ISP, etc.)
maybe he logged in at a public place like a library or something?

pctech mike:
Umm I have IE and I dont use the Password saving feature for yahoo but some others in my house use it for myspace (not sure if that matters). What do you mean by "compromised"? No I have never given anyone my password, no my friends got their passwords back so they didnt email but maybe ill give that a try. I personally don't care too much about the lost email i just want to make sure that whoever is behind this dosent jack somehing more important (my steam account maybe), and i want to fix the slow internet deal.

Jk said:
pctech mike:
Umm I have IE and I dont use the Password saving feature for yahoo but some others in my house use it for myspace (not sure if that matters). What do you mean by "compromised"? No I have never given anyone my password, no my friends got their passwords back so they didnt email but maybe ill give that a try. I personally don't care too much about the lost email i just want to make sure that whoever is behind this dosent jack somehing more important (my steam account maybe), and i want to fix the slow internet deal.

Myspace has been in the center of a lot of talk recently. I haven't really reviewed it, but I've heard good and bad things about it- so there's no telling what you could get from that site. By compromised, I meant exactly what you told me, someone has your password, or knows your password, basically, it fell into the wrong hands- that's what I meant by compromised. When it comes to hacking, you have to look at the likelyhood of a hacker actually targeting you. It's not likely, simply because there are bigger fish to catch out there, so that's why I don't think it's a hacker. Concerning your Internet connection being slow, do you have any P2P programs installed? If so, you may be downloading so much that it's taking up your bandwidth. It also depends on your ISP, location, time of day, and many other factors as to why your Internet connection may be slow. Is the computer slow to respond? I would go over to Trend Micro's Web site, and do a free virus scan. If there's anything on your computer, it will more than likely find it.

Ok I think i might have found the problem but im kinda confused still. I got a mcafee update today and ran a virus scan and it found one virus. My internet connection is a lot better and the computer responds good. So im hoping that the virus caused the email problem. The only thing that confuses me is how come my internet was still slow even after i swiched computers? They were networked but one was fast and the other one was slow, but then it got slow once I stopped networking it with the slow one. Other than that I think im alright. Thanks a lot for all the help. Also how do i add to your rep?

Viruses are bad news for any network connection. Some suck up a lot of bandwidth, especially if they are sending out emails or communicating back to the person that wrote it. You say you have McAfee? Suggestion: when the subscription runs out, don't renew. Download either AVG or Avast, which both are absolutely free, and are better than most you have heard of (make sure you uninstall McAfee first, and that is not always easy to do). McAfee is a little resource hungry, so your computer is still not running it's full potential.

Take your mouse and hover over the scales under my name. Once you do that, it will say "add to pctechmike's rep" you click it, then you get to put in a comment.

Back
Top Bottom