Usefullness of proxy at college network?

H4T

Beta member
So I recently moved into my college dorm and implemented a proxy on my machine (external, high anonymity proxy based in Iran), and I was wondering; does a high anonymity proxy hide my actions such as the files I download and the video streams I watch from my sys admins, or just from the source of those files?

If not, I take it there is no real way to thwart the sys admins at a college without being an idiot and risking probation lol.

Well since you probably use your colleges DHCP server and the fact that your using their network, your not safe.

Gotcha. So proxies are more for security against people outside your own network, and people within your network can still find you fine?

If your on your colleges network, even if your using a proxy they still have your IP inside their own LAN. Which in turn can be used to trace your machine. Once they have your IP inside their own network they can scan that IP to determine many things from installed OS to the MAC address of your NIC card, to WAN IP. Tools needed to do this for example could be as simple as nmap and ettercap. If you really want to bypass your college admins safely, you should switch off their network.

Yeah, I hear ya. Thanks for the quick responses. I knew they had absolute complete control, I was just hoping the proxy would do something for me, lol. I like being able to just about anything I want...oh well, lol, better to stay in school, haha.

The only way to bypass your college admins from monitoring you would be to compromise their servers, which would involve a huge risk of being caught. If you were caught you would surely be kicked out of school and even face possible prosecution, not worth it in my book.

Back
Top Bottom