Telnet- didnt know where to put this

jon the noob

In Runtime
I was just goofing around with telnet but i need a little explaining..

1. How would i connect to say, my main computer downstairs[i'm on the router connection]. Would I use it's ip for it's hostname, or how do I determine it's hostname?

2. What port is used when determining a port?

I just need sort of an explanation on how to access my downstairs computer

I will post pics if needed to show what I cannot get

First I would say that telnet isn't necessarily the best thing to use. Unless you are only doing things between computers on your network. If you move to doing things outside of your network I would recommend using SSH with a program like putty, or the like. This is because it is a lot more secure then telnet.

For your first question I would use your ip for the the host name. Since you are on a home network, I would guess that it is something 192.168.*.*. For what port to use, if you are using telnet you can you port you can use almost any port, 80 is the most common, that is what the net runs on. If you are going to use SSH, you need to use port 22.

I hope that this helps you.

Cheers!

Telnet defaults to port 23, for most configurations. However, it is archaic and completely insecure (not unlike myself), most sane people have abandoned it in favour of SSH which is encrypted.

You would need to allow your other machine to accept incoming Telnet connections. Why would you want to do this? If you are trying to remote administer the other machine, there are other options available such as Remote Desktop or VNC which, in my opinion, are infiinitely more featured and useful than Telnet. You have full control as if you are physically sitting at the computer.

Telnet doesn't come with vista or xp anymore does it? What is the best telnet software to download?

Telnet comes with XP, needs to be installed seperatly in Vista (theirs an option somewhere). Putty is a great SSH / Telnet / RS232 client to use.

Back
Top Bottom