Slow Computer

jetsmell

In Runtime
My Computer is slow at start up, and when going to websites, some are always slower than others. I have a decent computer, with XP. My Browser is Mozilla Firefox. I'm using Norton 360, and Fix it utilities. My Fix it utilities shows that I have a healthy computer. Have done some of the basics, like defrag, full system scans. Could it be Noton or a virus, if so , what do I do ?

Go to Start - Run - and type: msconfig - go to startup. Look at the things you have running there. Disable anything you dont think you will need. Most of everything you will be able to disable. Then download CCleaner and run it. I would recomend Super Anti-Spyware and Malwarebytes as well. After those run clear your Recycle Bin. Restart and run a defrag. When it is done restart yet again and then you should be set.

I think you should get rid of Norton and get something like Microsoft Security Essentials. I'd go with CCleaner and Malwarebytes Anti- Malware.

Both really sped up my pic...it's possibly a virus. I've never really been a fan of Norton.

My Computer is slow at start up, and when going to websites, some are always slower than others. I have a decent computer, with XP. My Browser is Mozilla Firefox. I'm using Norton 360, and Fix it utilities. My Fix it utilities shows that I have a healthy computer. Have done some of the basics, like defrag, full system scans. Could it be Noton or a virus, if so , what do I do ?

Because of the difference between websites, I'd suggest that your internet and/or graphics card. Spyware/malware is possible, and slow startup could be several things.

Ranging from unregistered files, invalid registry, lost shortcuts, etc.

Norton is quite the memory hog, 600k+ on my machine when I had it. So just make sure you have sufficient RAM. If your Norton signature's don't pick up virii, then there most likely isn't one as long as you have your updates. However, I've watched malware/spyware corrupt hard drives while Norton just sits there. Avast! is a lot better, imo. But then again I don't really get a lot of viruses, but I love Avast!'s sandbox mode. Great for removing malformed signatures. :)

p.s. You should start with clearing your hosts file, too. Bad programs normally alter it and monitor you.

I downloaded CCleaner and it said it would wipe out my files. I have pics. in my Canon file. Will it wipe them out , my home page, e-mail, etc.?

As it is proven that norton does not detects the trojans and it is heavier too for the system. so I think you initially uninstall it than install avira personal edition which is free of cost and than update it. It will also use less memory and detects in more category. You may also use some registry cleaners in order to improvise the speed at some points.

As it is proven that norton does not detects the trojans and it is heavier too for the system. so I think you initially uninstall it than install avira personal edition which is free of cost and than update it. It will also use less memory and detects in more category. You may also use some registry cleaners in order to improvise the speed at some points.
Nortons use to be resource hog but not any more.
Have Nortons 360 and 2010 on two different computers, cannot fault the product and certainly does not impede PC performance.
Just as good or better than Avira, Kaspersky, Eset,Avast,AVG etc etc.

Can you provide a link to prove your statement.

May I suggest you defrag your computer, There are some tutorials explaining how to do this (Screenshots & Guides)

How to defrag on

Also using professional software would be highly recommended you can view the "Defrag Top 10 Programs" for some suggestions.

If you follow those tutorials or get some decent software it should seriously help improve your computer speed, similar to what it was when you first bought it.

Back
Top Bottom