SAM security files

elmonomalo

In Runtime
I know this might sound a little dumb but i have always wondered this... is it possible to somehow delete the sam security system files off of a computer? I was thinking that if deleted the encryptian system would be destroyed and everything would go haywire. I have heard that the sam files on a computer cannot be copied, moved, deleted, renamed, etc. So I was wondering if it was possible and the probable post effects.

elmonomalo said:
I have heard that the sam files on a computer cannot be copied, moved, deleted, renamed, etc. So I was wondering if it was possible and the probable post effects.

You can alter SAM files(as well as the registry), with a software like this:

Ah thx... i actually got that software as well as a few others and was able to get my hashed password and crack it... i guess i need to up my security :(

elmonomalo said:
I know this might sound a little dumb but i have always wondered this... is it possible to somehow delete the sam security system files off of a computer? I was thinking that if deleted the encryptian system would be destroyed and everything would go haywire. I have heard that the sam files on a computer cannot be copied, moved, deleted, renamed, etc. So I was wondering if it was possible and the probable post effects.
This is illegal, unfortunately it seems that you used the link that exOr5i5t gave you, before another mod had chance to delete it [it is deleted now], using that to delete a security system is further illegallity,be warned.

x0r515t said:
You can alter SAM files(as well as the registry), with a software like this:
You shouldn't have offered the link to elmonomalo, he got it & used it before a mod edited your post, deleting it, you were helping him to commit an illegal act, as you can see, I have warned him.

100% legal

To all mods-

That software is completely legal, as long as your going to be doing this on your own system that is; and he was. The only time this could be illegal is if you will be using it on someone elses system to crack their password. So going with your logic, bittorrent is illegal? I don't see how this software is any different from bittorrent. You can use bittorrent to get copyrighted materials yes; but you don't have to. You can use bittorrent for legiminate purposes as well such as downloading Linux distrobutions. The software that I linked, has legiminate purposes, for example if you forget your password you can reset it. The point of this program is to be helpful to you the windows user, not to be an "1337 h4x0r" and crack someone elses machine because that's just lame. So if I was to link Nmap that would be "illegal" as well? Seriously this is just ridiculous because all of these softwares have legiminate purposes. I would appreciate an explanation mods on how this is "illegal".
thanks

Yes sorry for the confusion mods maybe i should've asked this on another forumn... I was just trying to see if i could hack my own security and better my knowledge with encryptian.

elmonomalo said:
Yes sorry for the confusion mods maybe i should've asked this on another forum... I was just trying to see if i could hack my own security and better my knowledge with encryptian.
Initially you didn't make it clear that you needed it for your own PC, as you see, XoOr5i5t has explained this, I'm sure you're on the correct forum by the way, & thanks for getting back to me, I'm double-checking with another mod, & will get back to you soon.

Of course there's always the possibility they test it on THEIR pc first then do it on someone else's later.

Of course you could just enable NT hash and this tool would quickly become useless. To enable NT hash go here:

\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa

Once in the Lsa directory add a new binary value (if not already there) called 'nolmhash' then set 'nolmhash' to 1 to enable it and 0 to disable it. There is ways to get around even this, but it involves much more effort.

Back
Top Bottom