Question about anti-virus software

I manage networks for a few medical clinics. I guarantee you that most of the doctors and medical assistants will not be bothered to hassle with a firewall asking if you want to execute files and such all of the time. Dont get me wrong, a decent firewall is important on every workstation, but I think at the end of the day, having a good antivirus/antispyware software solution is the best way to help keep malicious stuff out of the computers for the average user.

You're thinking of a networking firewall. From this statement I will re explain the concept. There are firewalls that are made to protect the operating system by governing kernel access as well as disk access. So if you had a usb in my office and tried to upload a virus you would be fired in a few hours because it detects usb drives and prevents execution if that file is accessing resources that could infect the workstation. There is a reason I am the it manager, its because I know what I'm talking about.
TM

Consider me properly chastised.

I don't know what I was thinking in challenging such an obviously qualified and eloquent person as yourself. I must admit, I am awe of your computing and managerial prowess and could only dream of having even a mere fraction of the diligence and attention span of someone as talented as yourself.

I manage networks for a few medical clinics. I guarantee you that most of the doctors and medical assistants will not be bothered to hassle with a firewall asking if you want to execute files and such all of the time. Dont get me wrong, a decent firewall is important on every workstation, but I think at the end of the day, having a good antivirus/antispyware software solution is the best way to help keep malicious stuff out of the computers for the average user.
The way I overcome this is with planning and infrastructure. Being the IT manager, I consult with office managers as to their requirements needed from their computer systems. The basics are; email, web browsing, excel, word, basically anything needed for their office workings. The managers know that programs can't be used if they have not been installed by me basically. My virus protection is easy. These programs are monitored by my firewall and if binary files or any data files attached to programs change it reports the action to my main server, so nothing on the local computer, being pop ups. If my server deems it a threat which if binaries change in programs it means I need to lock that computer down until I can contact the user. Then comes the interpreters utilized in everyday use in computers like Java, Perl, PHP and so on. These are the difficult ones to handle being the code is provided by an outside server which I don't control. So I filter all cgi and client side scripts before they are loaded by the workstation. Which is why most java games are not permitted/can't be used at work. This means the managers love me but the workers hate me. No pop-up's, hack proof to this day, and very easy to manage. Im against virus protection because it only protects against know threats. If I was to target a user I wouldn't use an old bit of code. The best way to manage any IT environment is with planning and infrastructure.
TM

the best thing is a firewall, get a decent one and it won't matter what kind of antivirus you have. you can also check your computer with avz sometimes. it's a really powerful antivirus that doesn't complain with other antiviruses as you run it only when you want to find viruses or fix bugs in the system.

Hello,

I've just bought and setup a new Windows 7 computer. It came with McAfee. I don't know whether on this forum, you are permitted to recommend a good anti-virus software, but if you are, please do. Another question. Can loading more than one anti-virus/spyware/malware software cause a problem? Can they interfere with each other?

Thanks,
Louis

First congratulation for getting a new Laptop. Mate here I am giving advice about two different Antivirus software can be run simultaneously? The answer will be no. Two different Anti-virus program have different algo and properties. Both can't be run along-with on the same computer or laptop.

Thanks !

Jimmy Ray Jit
Online Computer Repair Expert

Paid or free versions,Nortons, kaperskey, Eset nod32, malwarebytes & many other are all good.
It is a matter of just trying these out and pick the one you think does best for you.

Rule of thumb is try not to run more than one antivirus software when it comes to heuristic scanning as this will interfere with each other.

Cheers.

The way I overcome this is with planning and infrastructure. Being the IT manager, I consult with office managers as to their requirements needed from their computer systems. The basics are; email, web browsing, excel, word, basically anything needed for their office workings. The managers know that programs can't be used if they have not been installed by me basically. My virus protection is easy. These programs are monitored by my firewall and if binary files or any data files attached to programs change it reports the action to my main server, so nothing on the local computer, being pop ups. If my server deems it a threat which if binaries change in programs it means I need to lock that computer down until I can contact the user. Then comes the interpreters utilized in everyday use in computers like Java, Perl, PHP and so on. These are the difficult ones to handle being the code is provided by an outside server which I don't control. So I filter all cgi and client side scripts before they are loaded by the workstation. Which is why most java games are not permitted/can't be used at work. This means the managers love me but the workers hate me. No pop-up's, hack proof to this day, and very easy to manage. Im against virus protection because it only protects against know threats. If I was to target a user I wouldn't use an old bit of code. The best way to manage any IT environment is with planning and infrastructure.
TM
I'm impressed with your knowledge but there is one fundamental flaw to your solution of controlling viruses as stated by your method.
I would say majority of users who frequent this forum would not have a clue in doing what you suggested so it would be better for them to use an Internet Security Suit as intended for such users, don't you agree!!!

I'm impressed with your knowledge but there is one fundamental flaw to your solution of controlling viruses as stated by your method.
I would say majority of users who frequent this forum would not have a clue in doing what you suggested so it would be better for them to use an Internet Security Suit as intended for such users, don't you agree!!!

Yes, but no and no, but yes. Anti-virus gives a false sense of security. While it prevents most known attempts to hack or alter a computer, it is directed at the mass. To hack a computer with anti-virus is easy because it uses a database of code that it looks for in files. this makes it easy to get around. With every install of new software or updates the hacker could use code that has been programmed for that instance. Meaning code that won't be found in the anti-virus database. At the end of the day you can feel confident that most common hacks are prevented; however, it won't prevent a targeted attack and in some cases the anti-virus software will aid in the attack. The only way to stop a targeted attack against your computer is with a firewall and a vigilant user. Some anti-virus software comes with firewalls but they are mostly useless. Telling people to install anti-virus software to solve their security issues is wrong and people need to know that the only way to protect a computer is to learn how a computer works or seek a professional to manage the computers use.
TM

Yes, but no and no, but yes. Anti-virus gives a false sense of security. While it prevents most known attempts to hack or alter a computer, it is directed at the mass. To hack a computer with anti-virus is easy because it uses a database of code that it looks for in files. this makes it easy to get around. With every install of new software or updates the hacker could use code that has been programmed for that instance. Meaning code that won't be found in the anti-virus database. At the end of the day you can feel confident that most common hacks are prevented; however, it won't prevent a targeted attack and in some cases the anti-virus software will aid in the attack. The only way to stop a targeted attack against your computer is with a firewall and a vigilant user. Some anti-virus software comes with firewalls but they are mostly useless. Telling people to install anti-virus software to solve their security issues is wrong and people need to know that the only way to protect a computer is to learn how a computer works or seek a professional to manage the computers use.
TM
I agree with you ISS's can cause problems but most people want to just turn on the computer and do what they have to do and no more.
Now to get most ordinary people to learn how their computers work or hire professionals to look after them I think you must be kidding your self.
Admit to reality, wont happen and I guess Internet Security suits will be around for a long time to come, they have their roles in computers.

Your expertise is really required in big companies who are prone to majority hacker attacks or the odd computer geek who wants to learn, not the everyday home users...

If any; I trust my routers firewall for protection but again my ISS works well and I have no known problems for the last ten years so I think that speaks for it self...

Any how this is my opinion and you have yours.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom