Pop-ups, Adware, IE, Oh My!!!

killthenakedcat

In Runtime
Well I use Firefox as I figure most of you guys use, and I get tons of pop-ups from IE as well as adware. I do not use IE but when I ctrl-alt-del it says IEXPLORE is running in 3 or 4 separate instances and tends to take up about 100,000 combined Kb in MemUsage. I have avg for spyware which got rid of some of the ads and spyware and malware, I also have spysweeper and Nod32 as Virus protection. I have no idea why I keep getting these pop-ups and ads but they're annoying as hell...any ideas.

....also I did have something similar to this and I started getting virus notifications which I've gotten 2 of so far and I got a little pop-up balloon in my system tray saying I had this virus, I don't remember the name of it but I had to download some fix, start up in Safe Mode and then run spysweeper and install the fix, then it was fine, but this doesn't seem like the same problem to me since I haven't gotten the popup balloon in my tray and it doesn't have the same system hogging qualities where my CPU usage is constantly 100%...this is definitely different...also would uninstalling IE7 fix the problem?

Well I use Firefox as I figure most of you guys use, and I get tons of pop-ups from IE as well as adware.

What version of IE do you have? Also, Im not a fan of Firefox never have been really. So I use IE 7.0.5730.11 (most recent) with the popup blocker on never any problems with spyware/malware/adware etc...

I have avg for spyware which got rid of some of the ads and spyware and malware, I also have spysweeper and Nod32 as Virus protection

I thought AVG was for AV? Either way I would receommend scanning your system with spybot seek & destory, & Adware, make sure to update all the signatures for all you're software. & hijack this.

Post a copy of the log through here http://www.hijackthis.de/

also would uninstalling IE7 fix the problem?

No it would not fix the problem. Your problem is malicious computer code not IE.

and

a-squared Anti-Malware 2.1

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/

registryprot 2.0 from http://www.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=regprot

RegistryProt is a 100% free, standalone, compact, low-level realtime registry monitor and protector, that adds another dimension to Windows security and intrusion detection. By monitoring important locations and keys in the Windows system registry, RegistryProt will alert whenever a key is added or changed, and then give the option of accepting the key change, reverting back to the original key setting, or deleting the key

and last but least one of my favs Root Kit Revealer from www.sysinternals.com

Im sure you will find what you're looking for. If not, then I would recommend formatting the system if you have viruses/worms etc... on the computer. If it's *only* spyware/malware/adaware etc... then I would just scan and clean with the following software.

Cheers,0x0161

ps post results

damn dude that's a good amount of stuff and thanks a lot for all of that I'll get on this sometime this weekend seeing as how I've got some parties to go to and I will update you with my results

Kaspersky Internet Security 6 (it is probly one of the best anti-viruses/anti-spywares/anti-hackers and more)

Back
Top Bottom