Please help with this...

Chat01

Beta member
I am running on an Imac connected via LAN to my Actionteck(sp?) router provided by Verizon for my Fios internet. My wife has a new Compaq laptop with Vista that we are running wirelessly off of the router.
I don't use her computer very much, but last night I was trying to stream a show off of CBS.com
About half way though the video the stream started stalling and I received a pop up message stating that “An outside source is attempting to wirelessly access your internet explorer.” The message gave me the option of permanently blocking the signal which I did. Now for some reason I can't connect to an internet explorer session. My wireless network shows that I have a good connection.
Also, what is up with that pop up that I received? It almost sounded that someone was trying to access my laptop directly via wireless. Is that possible? I don't live in a very populated area. What would be the range that someone would have to be for that capability? Or am I hallucinating?
I checked my Google search bar and there were searches on there that I or my wife never entered.
I am running Norton internet security that is active and updated. I did notice that my windows firewall was not turned on.
Any suggestions on what caused this, how I can fix my internet connection, and what I can do to keep this from happening again?

Thank you in advance.
Charles.

The message gave me the option of permanently blocking the signal which I did. Now for some reason I can't connect to an internet explorer session. My wireless network shows that I have a good connection.

I think it's detecting the Access Point (router) therefore it is getting connected to that. However, it wont display webpages.

Do you have ANY form of security on this router? Also, I would recommend disabling nortons internet security and then re try to connect to surf the web.

PS if your running Nortons internet security you do NOT need to turn on Windows firewall.

I would recommend disabling nortons internet security and then re try to connect to surf the web.

Yes, good info.
Norton was blocking my Internet Exporer, I was able to go into Norton and un block it. Works fine now.

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom