my computer is infected

shadow11

Beta member
I need some help here, my computer is infected with a bunch of trojan win 32 type viruses no idea how else to describe them but i cant system restore or use any of the anti virus softwares i downloaded a bar will pop up saying its impossible to run them and pc protector pops up all the time any idea how to fix this?

If I were doing this repair job, I would locate another computer that is not infected and make sure anti-virus is loaded up on it. Then remove the hard drive from the infected computer and plugging it into the non-infected computer. Then run a virus scan on the hard drive.

There are many other ways to fix your computer, that is probably the most straight forward way to fix it besides wiping it out.

I need some help here, my computer is infected with a bunch of trojan win 32 type viruses no idea how else to describe them but i cant system restore or use any of the anti virus softwares i downloaded a bar will pop up saying its impossible to run them and pc protector pops up all the time any idea how to fix this?

You can run a live-disc Linux distro and use an online remover.
You can run in safe mood and see if it'll let you run your AVS. Hit F8 @ Windows boot then select "safe mode".

I would've mentioned MSCONFIG, but I don't believe it'll make much of a difference.

What antivirus tools are you using? I'd grab malwarebytes and spybot, boot up in safe mode and try and run them both (not at the same time!) That might clear things enough for you to copy your files across.

Can you back up what you need to another disk ok with or without this step?

If your PC is that far gone I'd honestly back up and wipe as soon as you can - there's no use spending weeks or even months trying to hunt down obscure bits of tricky viruses when you could have a clean system in less than a day.

My favorite way is to format the drive in which windows installed. you may also try it rather it takes some time but makes the PC like as newer one. if don't want to try this, you may install avira AV. it really works well.

PC Protector is the virus, it acts like an anti virus but really it is a Trojan itself. Boot up and open run, type msconfig, then go to the startup tab and disable it. More than likely it will be labeled as PC Protector, or just a bunch of random letters and numbers. After you have it blocked from startup reboot to safe mode with networking, install Malwarebytes, CCleaner, and Super Anti-Spyware. Update these programs before you run them. If you get an error on the update then open up your internet explorer, go to tools, internet options, advanced tab, and click reset. Close the browser and restart the programs. You should be able to update now. After they are updated run the programs. Clean all the malicious files off of the computer. If you are still infected after this then your a screwed. Hook the hard drive up as a slave drive on another computer or buy a 3.5'' USB Drive Enclosure so you can hook it up to any computer that has an open USB port. Pull of important documents you need, ie. music, pictures, quickbook data folders and so on. Then format the drive and begin reinstalling everything.

What antivirus tools are you using? I'd grab malwarebytes and spybot, boot up in safe mode and try and run them both (not at the same time!) That might clear things enough for you to copy your files across.

Can you back up what you need to another disk ok with or without this step?

If your PC is that far gone I'd honestly back up and wipe as soon as you can - there's no use spending weeks or even months trying to hunt down obscure bits of tricky viruses when you could have a clean system in less than a day.

DOO EET!

edit -just noticed this thread is already over a week old so maybe i'm too late

Oh man I think had the exact same thing. Who knows how the hell it actually got downloaded (says it comes from a plug-in download but I don't remember accepting anything from any untrusted websites).

Anyways, disable your windows restore because apparently the Win32 viruses infects all your restore points and is able to reinstall itself in this manner every time you restart otherwise.

Second: If an error box pops up saying you can't run a program (that is, any executable) just leave it there and try to run the program again. It might work the second time if you leave the dialog box there.

Run Malwarebytes (full scan) and download Hijackthis!..run that as well and get rid of any entries that are malicious. If you are not sure what to remove, select the option to save the results in a file and post it on here.

I have to mention that this is a nasty virus. It crippled my start-up and that's the last thing I can't seem to fix so I am still likely going to reformat in the near future anyway.

Back
Top Bottom