Malware or other viruses changing settings

P2P File-Sharing Risks | Consumer Information
www.consumer.ftc.gov/.../0016-p2p-file-...
Mobile-friendly - Some malware is designed to change which folders you have designated for sharing, so criminals can access your ...

This is the article that led me to believe that

Yeah, as it says, the criminals can access it. But it wouldn't be open'd to the whole network. I mean yes, there is always the chance some hacker made a virus for that exact purpose, but the chance of that is low, plus with ANti V in your computer it's lower you'll get it, and unless you are some important high tech genius with secrets and what not, I don't see why anyone would target you either lol.

I didn't figure they would target me in general. I just figured who ever downloaded that particular file it would automatically change the settings to expose you files to the network. Would that not be the case. Sorry I'm not good with this

• a user inadvertently allows the P2P program to share drives, files, or folders that contain sensitive information;
• a virus or malware changes the drives or folders designated for P2P sharing to enable drives or folders containing sensitive information to be accessible for sharing via the P2P program; or
• the P2P program has security flaws that permit hackers to attack the computer, or other networks, to which the computer is connected enabling the hackers to access sensitive information.

---------- Post added at 05:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:05 PM ----------

That's some article from a financial group

Which is correct. You want to only allow those that you trust to share. If you are seeding, then it will not matter. The BT network is no different from our standard. Share with those that you trust, and use that same group to know who not to get downloads from. You can be targeted based on your willingness to download random files, but that is called fishing.

Dray so it's true that you coukd download a virus on limewire that will change your limewire save or share folder to have personal files from your computer uploaded to yoyr limewire share folder without the users knowledge?

Its possible yes, but nothing to worrie about. It has been a long time sense malware like that has been created. The last time that I remember somthing like that being made was against those whom used popular email or chat clients.

Rough yes, but I have been doing this for some 15 odd years. Probably longer.
It was during the XP years and a bit before when that was an issue. The first can be traced back to 95.

With 100% certainty. no the did not. In fact, I have yet to see anything that modifies your limewire settings. That does not mean that you shouldnt be careful.

Back
Top Bottom