Laptop infected...

thecheat

Solid State Member
Hey, I'm doing this for a friend, and am doing my best to try and save his laptop.

Recently he noticed his computer was slowing down... it's a pretty new laptop, and was pretty fast. It's been getting slower and slower, and all of a sudden, stuff stopped working (Ain't a failing hard drive)

Windows toolbar would not appear... (this is XP btw)
Icons do not show up.
Computer locks up when the user name is entered
Cannot enter usernames. auto log off.

Even worse, it appears to be sending trojans to other computers on the network...
win32/trojan.downloader.small
win32/trojan.clicker
win32/trojan.agent

So far that's what was found on the network that seems to have spread from the computer. The nasty thing is, you can't even access the files anymore due to a serious infection. It seems to be something that slowly has been eating ram and something else and basically bogging the computer until now it's actually messing with windows.

So, the question is, how do we get into the computer to get important files off the laptop/destroy viruses/trojans Safe mode doesn't work (still logs you off) and so far, we're left with a shiny box with a bunch of buttons.

Any simple hacks/ideas to get in so we can view and edit files?

PS: another problem is that the HD is pretty full... we were going to install Linux (Ubuntu I think) but there isn't enough space...

PPS: oh, we COULD wipe the drive, but that is to be avoided if possible...

My idea is to slave the drive to another working computer/use it as an external drive and move from there... but I'm not sure if that'd be a good idea...

I encountered a similar virus, where you log on the computer and suddenly something pops up and counts down from 60 to 0 then shuts the computer off on a windows XP. The best option would probably be wiping the harddrive, then to prevent that from happening again, install spyware, antivirus softwares. (Sorry, no list because there so many)

Hey, I'm doing this for a friend, and am doing my best to try and save his laptop.

Recently he noticed his computer was slowing down... it's a pretty new laptop, and was pretty fast. It's been getting slower and slower, and all of a sudden, stuff stopped working (Ain't a failing hard drive)

Windows toolbar would not appear... (this is XP btw)
Icons do not show up.
Computer locks up when the user name is entered
Cannot enter usernames. auto log off.

Even worse, it appears to be sending trojans to other computers on the network...
win32/trojan.clicker
win32/trojan.agent

So far that's what was found on the network that seems to have spread from the computer. The nasty thing is, you can't even access the files anymore due to a serious infection. It seems to be something that slowly has been eating ram and something else and basically bogging the computer until now it's actually messing with windows.

So, the question is, how do we get into the computer to get important files off the laptop/destroy viruses/trojans Safe mode doesn't work (still logs you off) and so far, we're left with a shiny box with a bunch of buttons.

Any simple hacks/ideas to get in so we can view and edit files?

PS: another problem is that the HD is pretty full... we were going to install Linux (Ubuntu I think) but there isn't enough space...

PPS: oh, we COULD wipe the drive, but that is to be avoided if possible...

My idea is to slave the drive to another working computer/use it as an external drive and move from there... but I'm not sure if that'd be a good idea...

win32/trojan.clicker
win32/trojan.agent
they are bad files i have had them.

Download spybot S&D and boot computer into safe mode. Also run your anti virus program. Another good one is called Crap Cleaner (formerly, now its ccleaner) http://www.ccleaner.com

If all else fails, you have to format :eek:

When my laptop was infected, I used CCleaner, then it created some startup problems, etc. Wasted alottttt of time. You should backup your data and reformat.

Back
Top Bottom