Keylogger Question

Blak01

Beta member
Have always been curious about this: How could one tell if a computer (not my own) has a key logger on it?

Also, let's say I go to one of my friends, friends homes and he has a key logger installed on his own computer and I need to log into my email account, would he be able to retrieve my user information/password/etc using that key logger? And is the only way to prevent your information from being gathered is to simply not log on to your accounts via other peoples computers? Or is there perhaps some kind of site that you can log on through that can bypass such programs and keep your information private?

Thanks!

Have always been curious about this: How could one tell if a computer (not my own) has a key logger on it?

Also, let's say I go to one of my friends, friends homes and he has a key logger installed on his own computer and I need to log into my email account, would he be able to retrieve my user information/password/etc using that key logger? And is the only way to prevent your information from being gathered is to simply not log on to your accounts via other peoples computers? Or is there perhaps some kind of site that you can log on through that can bypass such programs and keep your information private?

Thanks!

You can use a couple different programs to find key loggers on your computer.

Here are a couple of programs you might find useful when dealing with passwords and keyloggers.

Asknerd.net - Here is an article talking about this subject.
Keepass - Keeps passwords safe.
KeyScrambler - Encrypts keystrokes.

Well you can use a program called KeyScrambler, on your own computer that is.. This encrypts your keystrokes and prevents key loggers from reading what you are really typing.

As far as protecting yourself while on your friends computer.. I would suggest just not logging in to anything while on their computer.

If it's a hardware logger, you'll need to check the keyboard ps/2 plug to see if there is something between the port and keyboard plug.

If it's a hardware logger, you'll need to check the keyboard ps/2 plug to see if there is something between the port and keyboard plug.

Totally forgot about hardware key loggers. Nice catch.

Yes they can also look like USB flash drives.

Thanks!

Install Virtualbox and then run Ubuntu as a guest. Even if your windows host gets a keylogger, whatever you type in the guest Ubuntu session will not be send to the host keylogger.

Install Virtualbox and then run Ubuntu as a guest. Even if your windows host gets a keylogger, whatever you type in the guest Ubuntu session will not be send to the host keylogger.

Do you think that is a little overboard just to get rid or block a key logger?

Do you think that is a little overboard just to get rid or block a key logger?

I think it's important if you are like me, and use the internet to login to and access a lot of netbanking and credit card accounts.

I think it's important if you are like me, and use the internet to login to and access a lot of netbanking and credit card accounts.

Check out the program I mentioned, KeyScrambler. You can disable it when not needed and enable when needed. Or just keep it enabled all the time (what I do). I am actually using it to type this post. It shows you what keys a keylogger would catch as the key you pressed in a small green window.
If you sit there and press 1 1 1 1 1 1 It will be different for each keystroke.

But as for using a virtual host and using linux. That isn't a BAD idea.. It's just overboard..

Check out the program I mentioned, KeyScrambler. You can disable it when not needed and enable when needed. Or just keep it enabled all the time (what I do). I am actually using it to type this post. It shows you what keys a keylogger would catch as the key you pressed in a small green window.
If you sit there and press 1 1 1 1 1 1 It will be different for each keystroke.

But as for using a virtual host and using linux. That isn't a BAD idea.. It's just overboard..

Yes I have heard good things about KeyScrambler, and it's definitely a good security measure.

I use Vista only to use my SIP Voip softphone and to play Bf2142 online.

For everything else I like to use Ubuntu, hence my reason for using Virtualbox. I really like it.

Thanks!
If it's one of the better key loggers, there is no way to tell it is running. Many of them don't even show up as a running process in Task Manager.

As far as protecting yourself while on your friends computer.. I would suggest just not logging in to anything while on their computer.
The advice doesn't get much better then that. :D

Back
Top Bottom