Internet Explorer 8

John Bull

In Runtime
I have recently had my PC updated from IE7 to IE8, by Windows/Microsoft automatic updates.

My PC is ;- Windows XP Home, SP3, IE8, OE6.

For a long time I have been on IE7. No problems, I think it was a great browser. During this period, I downloaded countless files with no problems.

Two popular sites I use are FileHippo and MajorGeeks. Up to now, great, but IE8 appears to view these sites as potential threats. Now when I try to download a program I get the message ;-

"To protect your security, IE has restricted this site from downloading files to your computer - check options"

When I check options and authorise a download, it freezes at 99%, everything is paralysed, nothing works and I have to crash my computer and re-boot. This I have done many times, but still these sites are in the ducking stool.

I can get past this IE8 embargo by downloading in Safe Mode + Networking, have`nt a clue why IE8 relaxes it`s grip in this Mode, but it does.

Question ;-
1. Are these sites a threat, by perhaps downloading unwanted material which the IE8 security package blocks ?
2. I have NEVER had any problems from these sites and resent IE8 screwing up my computer in this manner.

Please all you users, can you throw any logic on this new development by Microsoft in considering these trusted sites as potential threats ?
KAS

Friend the ie8 security is very much enhanced than that of ie7.Even very very minor threats(rather i would not called them as threat) are caught up by ie8 thus preventing access.It also showed This site as a threat in my computer!!!.So i will recommend you to switch to Mozzila or ie7.Mozzila would be a better option.

What if you went in to Tools > Internet Options > Security Tab , highlight internet, click on custom.

Then scroll down to download section and tincker with the settings there??

What if you went in to Tools > Internet Options > Security Tab , highlight internet, click on custom.

Then scroll down to download section and tincker with the settings there??

Did it. FileHippo is on the Goodie sites list. But IE8 obviously has it`s own criteria on who is the bad guy. I love hard-nut security, but I will choose who is allowed into my bedroom, NOT IE8, when I know the site is a trusty.
I like IE8, but if I have to go to Safe Mode in order to boot it up the arse - I will do.
KAS

Seems awfully strange as I can access both sites with IE8, did you install any of those silly addons when you installed IE*?

Maybe uninstall/reinstall paying particular attention to the options will work for you, websense or something could quite likely be the culprit.

Seems awfully strange as I can access both sites with IE8, did you install any of those silly addons when you installed IE*?

Maybe uninstall/reinstall paying particular attention to the options will work for you, websense or something could quite likely be the culprit.

AH yes - I can access all these sites with no problem, IE8 keeps it`s little red flag in it`s pocket. BUT when I try to download from these sites, up goes the red flag, I get a warning bar, I check OK to download files, they then stop on 99% and everything freezes. Back to crash-the-computer and re-boot. Safe Mode + Networking - no problems.
KAS

Weird, I just d/loaded cccleaner from filehippo with no problems whatsoever.

I'm at a loss as to the cause of your problem, all I can suggest is uninstall/reinstall IE8

Back
Top Bottom