Importance of a router?

Istok

Beta member
I leave my computer connected to the net, and obviously turned on, all day.
I was listening to that tech guy on the radio, Leo Laporte. He said that a router prevents access to your computer. He said you should use one no matter what, even if you do not have a LAN.
Now I was just briefly listening to this and I probably didnt get the whole story.

Does using a router prevent hackers from accessing your computer?

Kind of...when you use a router, any incoming connection has to be "forwarded" to a computer behind it that you want to access. So it acts as a hardware firewall where any incoming connection must be properly configured by the router to be received. It does almost the same thing as a regular software firewall.

I wouldn't follow that advice. As long as you have a good software firewall, you'll be fine. The only reason you should have to setup a router is if you want a network set up.

Istok said:
I leave my computer connected to the net, and obviously turned on, all day.
I was listening to that tech guy on the radio, Leo Laporte. He said that a router prevents access to your computer. He said you should use one no matter what, even if you do not have a LAN.
Now I was just briefly listening to this and I probably didnt get the whole story.

Does using a router prevent hackers from accessing your computer?

Basically a router stops people from randomly connecting to your computer. Unless you port forward, you have to be the one to open up a connection.

Like the radio guy, I recommend using a router in 100% of situations even if you do not have a LAN.

Back
Top Bottom