Hotmail account hacked!

freedom-chuck

Solid State Member
Hi, all,

The other day everyone on my Hotmail contact list got an email, supposedly from me raving about a cell phone I bought on the internet. Of course, I did not send such a message.

It is very disturbing that this happened. Can anyone tell me just what happened and how I can prevent it from happening again?

TIA, Chuck

A number of things could've happened, and noone can tell you for sure who did it or why they were able to. Most likely you have a trojan of some sort on your system, and its intention is an MSN spammer.. its common.

Download Malwarebytes Antimalware (its free) and run a scan and check for any viruses. Take note of the virus names, and you should be able to find removal instructions through Google.

Thanks, Bahawolf,

I'll do that. I forgot to mention, Webroot Spysweeper found what it called a "hacktool" and of course I quarantined it. Maybe that was the culprit.

Thanks again,

Chuck

I got an email from a friend the other day saying somehting similar but it was about juicy couture tracksuits. I knew this was something she would never buy so I deleted it straight away. Make sure you warn all your friends no to click any links in these emails otherwise they could end up with a virus. If you are too late make sure you get them to run an antivirus scan. I found an antivirus review site here that gives out some good information.

Change your Hotmail password ASAP! The spammer might have phished your account information and is has access to your account and is sending the emails that way.

I would also recommend you get SpyBot Search and Destroy.

Spybot is old...it was really good around the time XP came out and for a few years after, but now it's a bit long in the tooth.

Malwarebytes and Superantispyware do work well though.

Definitely change your password, also is this a public computer where maybe you left yourself logged in without knowing it and then someone got into your hotmail that way? seriously...get rid of webroot spysweeper and try something like malwarebytes.org....its a lot better

Back
Top Bottom