Help with security please.

jjhearn

Solid State Member
I have been reading up about the WEP key that is supposedly securing my home wifi devices. What got me thinking was when my son turned his DSi on and it said that someone had accessed my internet service. I have read that WPA(2) is the best(?) at the moment. And I would like to know how to get started on that, and I can't find what I am looking for, not that I have seen. I have several wifi devices on my server now, PS3, Xbox360, Wii, 2 DSi, and a PSP.

I am gonna attempt to explain the way my network is shown. I am running a paid version of Mcafee, the highest, if that really matters. In case someone else here recognizes what I am trying to describe.

It starts off with my computer on left. Then, it shows a "timeline" type bar extending to right. Extending up of that bar, is a white box with an address, which I assume is my router(?). That has another line that stretches to the right to a globe and says connected to internet. Under the main "timeline,"
I have (4) drop downs that all have seperate addresses. 1 which is bold, and 3 that aren't.

When the one popped up tonight letting me know, I automatically freaked and labeled it as an interuder, but I have the ability to change it. All together I have 8 connections wirelessly connected and 2 wired. Do I need to clear these connections out? Can I even do that?

I really apologize for such a long drawn out thread. But, I wanted to let everyone know what I am seeing, to the best of my ability. Any threads, opinions, suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

thanks a ton,

JJ

I'm not familiar with McAfee but I don't think that's necessary.

Do you currently have an encryption enabled? WEP is a good start but not very secure. Then you also have WPA and WPA2. Those are much more secure but only good if you have a decent password. I know with WPA, you are vulnerable to wordlist/dictionary attacks.

Log into your router and find the configuration settings. http://192.168.1.1 If you haven't changed the password already and don't know the default password, go here. It would be recommended that you change that as well, but more importantly set up some sort of encryption. Also do take note that not all devices support WPA. Older devices only support WEP but everything you have you should newer encryption types.

Disclaimer: I am a wardriver

I know with WPA, you are vulnerable to wordlist/dictionary attacks.
As you are with WPA2 - but the latter does take more effort to crack (it uses the newer AES standard rather than TKIP.)

I'd only recommend using WEP unless you really have no other choice. It used to be a fine art known only by a few to break into wireless networks with any form of encryption, but these days any dummy with youtube and backtrack can crack any WEP network (and any WPA network with an insecure, dictionary based / short password.)

I'd honestly recommend just generating a random WPA(2) key that's around 16 characters long, write it down somewhere, keep it safe and then use that. If you can use WPA2 then that would be better - but use a random key 16 characters long and you should practically be fine with either. As long as it's not WEP!

I know with WPA, you are vulnerable to wordlist/dictionary attacks.
As you are with WPA2 - but the latter does take more effort to crack (it uses the newer AES standard rather than TKIP.)

I'd only recommend using WEP unless you really have no other choice. It used to be a fine art known only by a few to break into wireless networks with any form of encryption, but these days any dummy with youtube and backtrack can crack any WEP network (and any WPA network with an insecure, dictionary based / short password.)

I'd honestly recommend just generating a random WPA(2) key that's around 16 characters long, write it down somewhere, keep it safe and then use that. If you can use WPA2 then that would be better - but use a random key 16 characters long and you should practically be fine with either. As long as it's not WEP!

I would recommended against WEP, in my opinion it's one of the least secure and easiest to hack. To put thing in perspective WEP was first introduced in 1997, and there are also countless tutorial on how to hack a WEP network.

I am only using it cause that is the way it is set up initially. I use Windstream and have the E-wire wireless router. But, I am gonna look into changing it when I am off, which will be thursday afternoon. Any links on how to get started? Will that info be in the manual for the router?

Back
Top Bottom