Do you use "Public Wi-Fi"? (Is it safe?)

alucard10

Baseband Member
Do you use "Public Wi-Fi"?

I want to watch netflix and youtube at starbucks and at the laundromat ,but I am paranoid about getting a virus.
I would never use public Wi-Fi to log in to anything important ,I just want to surf the web.

What i'm worried about is getting a virus on my phone ,Because I need to plug my smartphone into my laptop a lot to transfer files ,and I don't want my smartphone to put a virus in my laptop.

Is there any practical way to go on public Wi-Fi without getting a virus on your smartphone or should I just skip it all together?

PS
Am I overly paranoid or is public wifi something smart people avoid?

I think you are being "overly paranoid." Having said that I wouldn't use public wifi EVER LOL.

I'm not aware of a phone virus that can be transferred to a PC or vice versa.

My phone has a data plan so I use my phone to connect laptop to the internet. I haven't connected to a public wifi hotspot in years.

I want to get unlimited data soon and hopefully also be able to hotspot to my laptop and tablets.

But when I said connect my smartphone to my laptop,I meant plugging The android phone into the laptop via usb wire.
I do this so I can use my laptop to go into the smartphone as if it's a flash drive. Then I can easily organize the contents in the android phone and I can drag and drop files into the phone or from the phone in the laptop.

Its an android phone with no sim-card that I use as a "poor mans ipod touch". I just want to know if there's a realistic chance that going on starbucks or laundromat wifi could compromise the android phone and make the phone dangerous to plug in to other devices latter?

If you treated your phone like an external drive and downloaded a PC executable file onto your phone, then transferred it to your PC then ran it on the PC, it could be a trojan or have an embedded virus.

I get what your saying ,It would basicly have to be an "exe" File.

Could there be any threats from media type files? Like transferring jpg or mp4 files from phone to laptop? or do those not apply in this case?

Using public WiFi can prove fatal for anyone. If you need more then use a trusted wifi. The best is that you should keep your data so that you can run the net.

Do you use "Public Wi-Fi"?

I want to watch netflix and youtube at starbucks and at the laundromat ,but I am paranoid about getting a virus.
I would never use public Wi-Fi to log in to anything important ,I just want to surf the web.

What i'm worried about is getting a virus on my phone ,Because I need to plug my smartphone into my laptop a lot to transfer files ,and I don't want my smartphone to put a virus in my laptop.

Is there any practical way to go on public Wi-Fi without getting a virus on your smartphone or should I just skip it all together?

PS
Am I overly paranoid or is public wifi something smart people avoid?

Do not buy anything online while you are connected to a public WiFi network. Sensitive information such as credit card numbers and passwords can be stolen.

Back
Top Bottom