Checking Your Computer's Speed

G9

Daemon Poster
You are all aware that spyware and the such tend to slow down your computer... how do you tell if their effects are taking place? Sorry about all these threads about my new computer, I'm just a little anxious about its health :D

Well, if you had your comp running at a fairly reasonable speed, going fast for its cpu and such, and then one day its just soooo slow, then yeah, that's spyware. Yeah, just run a good spyware sweep (adaware, spybot, mircosoft antispyware...) and then even an anitvirus check (avg is free) and you should be fine. Also, don't forget to defrag your harddrive.

Okay. My computer runs on 2GB memory, so I think it'll be easy to detect a sudden slow.

pcpitstop

pcpitstop.com is great it will run safe test about everything that could be wrong with your pc

Re: pcpitstop

recon 16 said:
pcpitstop.com is great it will run safe test about everything that could be wrong with your pc
has anyone tried this site? is it safe?

yeah if it rums on 2GB?!? that is a hell of a lot.....I use avg which is free..

I can't believe people who want to save a buck at their computer's expence. If you really wanted to save money you'd download linux, install it and go opensource 100%.

2 Gigs isn't a lot. Battlefield 2 recommends 2 gigs. You can buy 2 gigs (4x 512) for about 150 bucks.

Also what a lot of people don't realize is having 400 applications launch at startup eats up memory (which slows down your system) To fix this:

Go to start > Run > Type in "msconfig" > click the startup tab > uncheck all boxes you don't want to startup when your system loads.

If you're unsure what something is, google it.

pcpitstop...

If you're behind a proxy like AOL does then all pcpitstop is banging on is your proxy. You'll get all is honky dory and go on thinking you're fine.

You might want to do some more than just scan for ad/spy/malware. If you're getting slow downs there can be more to it. A good cleaner is crap cleaner. Get it at www.ccleaner.com
It's safe and it's free. Turn on all the features and run it till it doesn't see any thing. Oh yeah some have come back and said it did something bad to their system. Well it will clean out your website password cookies. Other than that it's safe. (Jeeze guys I can't believe you keep forgetting to tell folks about that program. )

And the best thing you can do for all scans is to run them from safe mode. This doesn't let the entire system load and catches the nasties before they have a chance to load up and get running.

Edit: fixed link...

Back
Top Bottom