certificate error

Clarence

In Runtime
I'm a new employee of a company and I'm just a technician. This morning an employee visited with a site they regular visit for company work however it saying that it's an "SSL error" with the certificate.

Here is an attachment of the error

Any suggestions on how to renew the certificate

Attachments

• cert.PNG
    cert.PNG
    58.7 KB · Views: 7
It may well be that the sites SSL certificate has indeed expired, it's not unheard of.

My advice would be the site is still safe to visit but I wouldn't be entering any login or sensitive information until they renew their certificate which with any respectable website should be within 24 hours of expiry.

Could be they're updating as a precautionary measure.
ssc456 didn't you say the certs had to be reissued when they did that?

the certificate wouldn't have expired as a precautionary measure.

all certificates have a valid time on them.

so for example go to https://www.microsoft.com and click on the padlock and click more information.
in the more information screen select view certificate.

the click on the details tab.

you'll see a heirachy

Baltimore cyber trust root (this is trusted by your computer by default, when you install trusted root updates from windows updates it alters what root authorities it trusts. (sometimes saying, they were crap at that and issued bad certs, don't trust them!) and sometimes issuing new certificate roots as new players enter the game. -certificate roots are also sometimes removed if the private keys are leaked, because then anyone could generate certificates using the certificate authorities private signing key.

you see that microsoft bought their certificate from MSIT Machine Auth CA2.
we don't know who they are, all we care is that they are trusted enough to be given a signing certificate from the company Microsoft internet authority.
and they were trusted enough to be given the certificate from Baltimore Cyber Trust root...

the pane just below that has certificate fields.
if you clisk on subject it'll say CN (common name) = Microsoft Corporation
so if this certificate ends up on google.com then you know something is wrong and you don't trust it.

you'll also see a field marked validity,
with not before 12/01/2013 -meaning that whilst they certificate might have been uploaded to the web servers is won't be able to be used until after this date.

and a second field called not after 12/01/2015 this means that after this time that certificate won't be able to be used.

And it would throw up the error that you see there. unless of course someone pays more money to renew that certificate before it expires and uploads the new certificate.

Basically, the company needs a new cert. you could be friendly and politely point this out to them.

The Firefox plugin certificate-patrol is also very handy for analysing and visualising certificate data, spotting forgeries and informing you when certificates have changed for sites you visit regularly (all configurable of course, as are all FF plugins)

Back
Top Bottom