Can you Get Virus from Flash Drive?

jakeny

Baseband Member
I just had a thought after getting infected with viruses in my old computers. So...I saved a bunch of files (stuff like MS Word docs...Excel spreadsheets, etc.) onto a flash drive from my old virus infected computer.

If I've got a new computer and I upload those same files onto it from my flash drive, then could I be uploading the same viruses on my old computer onto the new one? In other words, could my flash drive carry viruses?

And related to this, IF my flash drive did have virsuses and I deleted all the files on them, could I still use that flash drive? In other words, even with deleted files, could there be some "hidden" virus thing lurking on that drive that I can't see and continues on even after the files are deleted on it and that could crop up and infect me newer computer if I were to ever upload from that drive?

I'm super paranoid about viruses after my bad exp. with them recently. Appreciate you guys help a bunch! Thanks!!!

Yes, the viruses could be contained in the files you saved to your flash drive and can then infect any other computer you plug the flash drive into.

You should use your AV to scan the files on the thumb drive and remove any infections.

If you wish to completely wipe the thumb drive then a full format would be in order or maybe even use one of those programs that completely overwrite the drive.

Oh, dude, I totally forgobt about this thread. Sorry man.

Just to follow up, what if I deleted that drive and it has no visible files on it, do you think like a virus can still remain on the drive? Like suppose I had some files on the flash drive and there were infected with a virus. Then, I delete all the files on that flash drive.

Could that stupid virus have like migrated out of the file and is somehow floating around on the drive (but not in a file) and remain there and still infect me if I use that drive? Like should I throw the whole drive out?

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom