Can People See Your IP Address, etc.?

jakeny

Baseband Member
If I am posting questions on forums or typing stuff on Facebook, etc., can some psycho hacker/bad guy figure out my IP address from that and then use it to attack/hack me online?

What can people know just from a person posting stuff in forums or publicly like on Facebook (where it's open for the public) or Twitter? Anything that could harm them later? (Note: I don't mean like if the person voluntarily posts private/sensitive info. - e.g., their birthdate, age, etc. - but more like if a person just posts neutral stuff can a bad guy somehow technologically figure out additional personal info. about you like your IP address or other identifying/sensitive info. and then use it against you).

...In short, I'm wondering what we "give away" (that a hacker/bad guy could use) anytime we go online for everyday basic activities?

Thanks! And hopefully this thread will help others too!

[Apologies in advance for my numerous posts/threads. I'm massively paranoid after getting hacked/malware that destroyed 3 computers of mine this past year. So I"m learning everything I can guys!]

The website you're using can find out a lot more of this information than another user, but it does depend on the service. Some forums, for example, provide access to what IP a particular post came from - and any content can be reported to the authorities, who can then in turn order the service provider to disclose IP address information for a given username etc.

Generally speaking, it is actually quite difficult to find out anything about someone's personal life - if their profile gives nothing away. i.e. if you don't list an email address, your username is no reflection of your name (unlike mine, or yours 'jake from new york'), and you don't post a city you live in anywhere (or use the same username where this information is disclosed on another website) - then you're fairly detached. If however you have a single piece of common information which can be linked to other online services, then it becomes much easier to piece things together if you're determined enough e.g. country is fairly easy to establish just based on times of posting, this will give time-zone and things can be narrowed down from there.

Short answer is, be careful what you post online and don't piss people off, if they know moderators or are technically savvy then you could end up in a difficult situation. If the user masquerades as another by generating a new account or impersonating someone you know then they can direct you to a website they control and then all bets are off, piece of cake to be compromised from that point.

Hope that helps,
Michael.

Last edited:
If I am posting questions on forums or typing stuff on Facebook, etc., can some psycho hacker/bad guy figure out my IP address from that and then use it to attack/hack me online?

What can people know just from a person posting stuff in forums or publicly like on Facebook (where it's open for the public) or Twitter? Anything that could harm them later? (Note: I don't mean like if the person voluntarily posts private/sensitive info. - e.g., their birthdate, age, etc. - but more like if a person just posts neutral stuff can a bad guy somehow technologically figure out additional personal info. about you like your IP address or other identifying/sensitive info. and then use it against you).

Quick answer is yes. I can see a lot of things about you, and anyone that hacks into the site can see just as much (or more) depending on their skill. that's why security is such a big thing to Moderators and even more so to the team that actually owns the site

Short answer is, be careful what you post online and don't piss people off, if they know moderators or are technically savvy then you could end up in a difficult situation. If the user masquerades as another by generating a new account or impersonating someone you know then they can direct you to a website they control and then all bets are off, piece of cake to be compromised from that point.

Hope that helps,
Michael.

This sums it up quite well actually. Point in case, there have been a few times where letters have been sent to houses because kids couldn't behave. We have some really smart cookies on here that given your IP can find out the address that the ISP is giving that IP address to. Imagine if you're a parent and you get a letter in the mail saying your kid isn't behaving well online. It'd be pretty embarrassing.

Here's one, can people hack your computer if you're playing an online game??

I've heard rumors of this, but don't know of anyone that this has happened to.

Here's one, can people hack your computer if you're playing an online game??

If your modem/router is switched on and the associated xDSL/cable WAN interface connected then 'you' can be hacked - playing online games or not, it can be done.

I quote the 'you' because your desktop PC doesn't have to be the target, millions of routers are vulnerable to a UPnP issue discovered last year (see https://www.grc.com/su/UPnP-Rejected.htm for details - click the top right corner when you get there) as well as the recent Linksys backdoor problem. Once this device is compromised then any devices connecting through it can be easily exploited.

I've not come across a case of these things personally, but I avoid being vulnerable, and ensure everyone I know is taking precautionary measures also - but they're out there.

As far as _michaelm's post and celegorm`s they are very correct, while there are ways people Can technically hack their way around it is unlikely in a general sense, You are more likely to be in danger from pissing people off and similiar circumstances.

In regards to YoungIT's question about being hacked while playing online games.
The answer is for the most part yes... There are ways to do it. For example, a program like Cain and Abel has network monitoring and depending on how a game is setup people can use it to view all IP Addresses connected to them in some way. Meaning as you join the game a new IP Address is now present in the game. All new connections will pop up in the program and said person can now figure other information out such as location, your ISP, or if they are really those kind of people could launch any number of attacks against your IP Address.

Hope this helps! If it seems like too much info let me know and I will clear it up!
-Thomas

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Computer Forums mobile app

Back
Top Bottom