can my ip be hacked ?

bev1

Solid State Member
sorry as I am sure this has been asked many times but is it possible for someone to use my ip address to make it look like I am visiting sites and possibly sending e mails?
Im not very technical minded with the ins and outs of computers but I really need to know if I may have been hacked.
Thanks

can my ip be hacked ?

No. However, the system 'assigned' to that IP address could possibly be hack-able. ;)

sorry as I am sure this has been asked many times but is it possible for someone to use my ip address to make it look like I am visiting sites and possibly sending e mails?

It's easy to spoof IP addresses, email headers etc... but the odds of it actually happening to you and someone using your IP address are very very slim.

Im not very technical minded with the ins and outs of computers but I really need to know if I may have been hacked.

Heres an easy one; whats your OS? Does your system run/behave/act a different than usual? Do you see files/folders on your system you didnt install? etc...
last but least why do you think your system was hacked? It's possible espically if you don't know sh1t about computers. ;)

Thanks for the replies
I am running Windows XP. using Virgin
The reason I am asking may sound a bit strange, well it does to me. someone I know said they had someone playing games with e mails and setting up false profiles etc on a site. originally I was told it was their ex, then out of the blue I was accussed, they could offer no information as to how they got to this idea. I know it was not me, and its possible they made it up to finish the relationship. dont know. but thought it wouldnt hurt to ask the question for my own peace of mind. I have had a few occassions when my cursor seemed to move by itself. I have shut down and run AVG scan, and sometimes found Trojans and put in vault. the person also was having problems with their pc at one point but said it fixed itself

right well the first post suggested some1 was using another computer with your IP address,

the last post suggested some1 was hacking your computer ? which is it.

the chances is if your with virgin broadband then you have a dynamic ip address which mean your probably wont have the same IP for longer than 3 weeks at a time.

for example i just put my ip address in this website http://www.ip-adress.com/ which is ment to be an IP tracer (tells you the location of ip) and it says im in leeds when im actually in milton keynes.

which means the last time this ip was registered with that website it was in leeds or my nearvest server is in leads.

basicly your IP address will constantly change therefor any1 trying to "imposter" your IP was probably doing it by accident

No. However, the system 'assigned' to that IP address could possibly be hack-able. ;)

It's easy to spoof IP addresses, email headers etc... but the odds of it actually happening to you and someone using your IP address are very very slim.

Heres an easy one; whats your OS? Does your system run/behave/act a different than usual? Do you see files/folders on your system you didnt install? etc...
last but least why do you think your system was hacked? It's possible espically if you don't know sh1t about computers. ;)

so u mean u can hack a computer if u know the ip? that sounds very unreasonable

Back
Top Bottom