Bombarded by SoberX

javabean

Beta member
Hi y'all. First post here. About 24 hours ago I started getting hit with SPAM, and now have over 30 emails which all seem to be the soberX worm, the one that usually appears to be from either the CIA or FBI.

Thankfully, my ISP caught it as such and cleaned the attachments before hitting my Inbox, so I just get the message text. However, they won't stop coming!

I haven't opened any attachments (obviously, as the ISP cleaned them) so the worm hasn't been executed and installed on my system. But why am I continuing to get hit with so many emails? Is it likely that someone who has me in their address book has installed it and either isn't aware or is unable to clean their system?

Is this ever going to stop? :eek: I just got this new email less than a week ago, so this isn't the start I had imagined. Any suggestions?

It might be what you just said, your friend may have the worm, and may be the reason why you are getting the emails. What mail provider do you have, email that is. There should be a spam folder, or some sort of option.

Yes, my ISP has a built in security bundle that I use, which includes a spam filter and virus scanner.

I use Outlook Express for my email, and the ISP has automatically created a message rule in OE that flags the spam as red, downloading only the message text but deleting any virus attachments.

I changed that message rule to delete all spam right off the server, and then someone said that might not be a good idea, since some legit email (newsletters etc) might not get through, so I changed it back. At last count I have about 45 spam emails in 27 hours.

I'm considering sending a BCC email to everyone in my address book and seeing if anyone has had an problems, including a link for Symantec's removal tool maybe. There are a couple of peeps in my address book (and me in theirs) who are net-newbs, so who knows what they might have opened up. :confused:

I guess what I'm not sure of, is why I continue to be hit over and over? Is it because their machine is still infected, or could there be another cause?

your recieving it from the FBI?

i heard about this on the news someone sending out fake male pretending to work for them

just flag it as junk that wont stop you recieveing any other email unless there coming from the same guy who is spamming you which i pritty sure there not :D

Sober worm has been out recently ... got quite a few dozen of those emails myself, but you should just ignore them ... don't believe there is anything more you could do then get more spam blockers and all that ...

Well, there you go... There's your problem!

You're using Outlook Express...

That thing has so many security holes it's not even funny!!!!!!

Use Thunderbird from Mozilla! It will automatically filter that crap you're getting

Back
Top Bottom