Any Action Needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainAmerica

Solid State Member
I got this following message from Norton Internet Security:

An intrusion attempt by travellerindex.com was blocked.
Attacker URL: travellerindex.com/scrstat
Source Address: 107.20.187.56
Destination Addresss: [I'm omitting this for obvious reasons] ;)
Traffic Description: TCP, www-http

Network traffic from travellerindex.com/scrstat matches the signature of a known attack. The attack was resulted from \DEVICE\HARDDISKVOLUME4\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\GOOGLE/CHROME\APPLICATION\CHROME.EXE

Although Norton said no action was recommended, the intrusion block notice was nevertheless unsettling (it seemed to happen immediately upon visiting a fairly popular website). Just curious if any extra measures ought to be taken given such a note and if anyone knows what the message even means (in layman's terms) and would like to elaborate, I'd greatly appreciate that as well.

TVM for your time.

no. Norton said they blocked it. So no need to worry.
If it will make you feel better, do a full scan and use an anti spyware removal tool.

A side note: When your norton subscription ends and you have to pay for it again, remove it and install something like Avast.

no. Norton said they blocked it. So no need to worry.
If it will make you feel better, do a full scan and use an anti spyware removal tool.

A side note: When your norton subscription ends and you have to pay for it again, remove it and install something like Avast.

Why remove it?

Don't come with the excuse that it is a resource hog, far from it as I have used Norton for the last4 years & is on par with any other reputable internet security suit.

simple reason that it's not free.
Avast catches just as many treads as Norton.
I am not saying it's bad, (because it's not) but for most people a free AV is usually the best option.

simple reason that it's not free.
Avast catches just as many treads as Norton.
I am not saying it's bad, (because it's not) but for most people a free AV is usually the best option.

No not really, any free antivirus has basic limited protection compared to the paid versions, if you do not believe me then go to Avast AVG or any site that offers free versions then compare to the paid versions they sell & look up the difference of features that is offered.
The old saying is you only get what you pay for, certainly a paid version will offer more protection...... Fact!

I don't completely agree.

the features you get with payed versions of say avast, is not necessarily gonna improve your security much. remember, avast has a reputation to keep.
Avast has 3 packages.

• Essential
    Intelligent Antivirus
    Anti-malware Protection
    _
  • All inclusive
    includes all above
    SafeZone: some unnecessarily payment security
    Silent Firewall: something against hackers. they don't specifies... wonder why... If this interests you, go pick up "Comodo Firewall"
    Anti-spam: self explanatory.
    _
  • Top notch
    Includes all above,
    Automatic Software Updater: Just an updater for 3-party programs. The free one also has this feature, but it only updates manually.
    AccessAnywhere: a remote control feature. it's cool but nothing stops you from downloading one of the 100 different free solutions.
    Data Shredder: a feature that can 100% delete files form the harddrive. This is cool, but again there are free alternatives online.

out of all these feature that isn't a part of the Free version, the only features i give a damn about is AccessAnyware and Data shredder.
Still i wound't pay a licences for them due to free alternatives. Maybe if it was a 1 time buy at a fair price.... but it's not. I'll keep to my Avast Essential (Free)

Last edited:
In my experience, I have removed a lot of viruses and malware from computers with Norton. Since Norton is one of the most widely used anti-virus programs, people write malware to circumvent the protection Norton offers.

While I have removed infections from computers running Avast or AVG, it hasn't happened nearly as often.

no doubt norton is a good AV, but maybe the reason you got more virus notifications when you used Norton could be because it's a more sensitive AV.

---------- Post added at 05:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:53 PM ----------

note: more sensitive doesn't necessarily mean a better AV.

I hate Norton and will always recommend against using Norton. AVG & Avast have always served me well and will continue to use them.

I hate Norton and will always recommend against using Norton. AVG & Avast have always served me well and will continue to use them.

OK you hate Norton, for what reason you do not like Norton?
When was the last time you used Norton?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom