Remote access

bluenose1940

In Runtime
On a couple of occasions I have allowed someone to remotely access my computer in order to assist me with something.

I have never had any problems with this but, I am wondering if there are any checks that I can make in order to ensure that nothing undesirable has been placed on my pc. As I have said, I have not encountered any problems with any of the connections. I always delete the programme that I have downloaded that allows the connection but, with computer hacking far more widespread these days it is often in the back of my mind that something might crop up at a later date from one of these sessions.

I have thought about doing a real 'deep clean' of my system with one of the free software programmes that are available and then re-installing my O/S.

Obviously if there is an easier way to ensure all is safe, I would prefer to go down that route.

Any thoughts anyone.

Are you afraid that someone installed malware on your computer or that someone may still have remote access to it?

Are you afraid that someone installed malware on your computer or that someone may still have remote access to it?

Hi AMD_man, thank you for coming in on this. Yes, I have thoughts in my mind that the possibility does exist.

I have deleted the programme that they used to make the remote connection and I have also gone into the pc settings (somewhere) and ticked the box
'Do not allow remote access to this computer' but I do not know if they left something somewhere that would get them access to my pc via the internet.
I just wondered if I could have a good look around to see if there is anything unusual lodged somewhere that they may want to use say a month down the line when basically all has been forgotten about the remote access.

I have been checking my bank accounts regularly since the event and all is fine but, I still have this nagging thought about the future.

Thanks again for looking at my thread.

Easiest way to do it, is to install a anti malware or anti virus software, checking your bank regularly is also a good idea but one thing you can notice if your machine is infected is it will run a bit slow or it will act strange sometimes, moving cursor, flickering, etc. Installing such software will help you solve your problem it's not expensive by the way.

Hi AMD_man, thank you for coming in on this. Yes, I have thoughts in my mind that the possibility does exist.

I have deleted the programme that they used to make the remote connection and I have also gone into the pc settings (somewhere) and ticked the box

'Do not allow remote access to this computer' but I do not know if they left something somewhere that would get them access to my pc via the internet.

I just wondered if I could have a good look around to see if there is anything unusual lodged somewhere that they may want to use say a month down the line when basically all has been forgotten about the remote access.

I have been checking my bank accounts regularly since the event and all is fine but, I still have this nagging thought about the future.

Thanks again for looking at my thread.
Sorry for taking too long to respond.

Since you want to check your computer for basically everything, I think following this would be a good idea: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/malware-removal-windows

This is a shorter, less exhaustive article intended for removing malware alone: https://malwaretips.com/blogs/malware-removal-guide-for-windows/ (I've used the software mentioned there many times and I honestly think it's the best way for the average user to get rid of most forms of malware.)

As for remote access, as long as you did this (https://www.lifewire.com/disable-windows-remote-desktop-153337) you should be fine. You could check your firewall for strange connections or exceptions but I don't think you'll find much there.

Thanks again AMD_man, I have followed each of your guides thank you.

I have used CCcleaner and I have also disabled remote access (earlier).

I have checked my bank accounts several times and all seems fine.

Thanks for all the help.

Back
Top Bottom