LAPTOP HDD in normal pc

ripo66

Baseband Member
Hi all

sorry for my english

my laptop is dead and i take from it the 500gb hdd drive
(The exact model is Toshiba 500GB MQ01ACF050 )
and i connect it to my regular computer

Everything works great at the moment

Whether it is a normal computer can damage a hard disk designed to work on a laptop?

Power problems, voltage, etc.?

Or can I continue to work normally with this laptop HDD on my pc ?

thanks

It will work just fine as long as you have found a way to secure the smaller HDD in the desktop's, bigger, hard drive caddy. I've had a laptop hard drive in my desktop for two years and had no problems.

It is fully supported, no worries. It s just the size and that can be rectified by using a 2.5" to 3.25" bracket if you don't want the HDD to be hanging inside the case or screwed in a weird way. That's provided you followed the standard regulations in installing it, of course.

Even the regular SSD is based on that size.

The data and power connectors as well as the power requirements are standardized so that you can connect whatever drive you wish. The only difference is the physical dimensions of the drive.

SSDs and typical 2.5" laptop HDDs weigh so little that you can actually leave them dangling from the connecting cables and they will work fine (not recommended).

Keep in mind that you have to meet the interface requirements. As long as the HDD uses the same interface you're using, it will work in normal cases. Different interfaces include, and AFAK not exclusive to, SATA (the one you're probably using), HDE or PATA (discontinued in ~2007) and SCSI.

What strollin said. Hell, I duct taped one to the bottom of my case. Works fine. :D

Back
Top Bottom