Turn off when not used often.

OneMarcilV

In Runtime
I have one computer that I only use like every 2 weeks. Would it make sense to shut this computer down during that time?

Definitely turn it off... What's the alternative? Keep it 2 weeks on to use it 5 minutes?

Sleep is pointless because if there is a power loss (and it's very possible in the course of 2 weeks), you loose your current unsaved work.

There is nothing wrong with hibernation though, although I don't think you'll benefit a lot from it.

Perfect the reply is much appreciated. I do have another that I leave on all the time because that computer gets used on a average of every 3 days.

In upon reading the reply. Will shut off now. What is great I installed a SSD which makes this older computer boot up in like 10 seconds.

Still doesn't make sense to keep that one on. You should at least suspend it. Hybrid sleep sounds perfect for the one that gets used every 3 days.

Oh I do. Forgot to write that in. Sorry. I use the option Stand By. This is a all in one computer which of course turns off the monitor.

On the rarely computer I chose stand by option and all that did was to turn the screen blank than display the sign on screen with the password box. So there is not any stand by option that really works for that computer.

Yes, turn it off. I see what makes sense to do that, actually, as long as there's no reason to leave it open. Besides, it's nice to see it start fast with the SSD. And if it's Windows, sometimes even doing that is better for it's health.

If it will be weeks or even days before you use a computer again then it makes sense to turn it off.

I have 2 computers that I leave on all the time. One is my media server, it gets used off and on all the time so it's not practical to turn it off since I can't predict when someone in the house will want to watch something from it. The other is my main computer which I use everyday, multiple times per day so leave the computer on and just let the display blank in between uses.

I have several other computers that I use here and there, those are turned off when I'm done using them since I don't know when I might use them again.

Back
Top Bottom