Why transferring files to USB Flash Drive so slow?

There is no magical way to get the files in the flash drive. What's the model and make of the drive? What kind of interfaces do you have available in your computer? Could you please include links of the websites with the specifications for your hardware?

The only way to get them in a flash drive quick is using USB 3.0 or USB 3.1 interfaces, cables and drives. That would mean getting a new computer (or a PCI USB 3.0/3.1 adapter), a new flash drive, both or neither, depending on your current situation.

If you're desperate to get the files onto the flash drive, transfer it over the network to the windows 10 machine and from there put them on the flash drive. It will save you a lot of time. Legacy hardware just isn't good at handling large file transfers very quickly.

I'm not sure transferring the files over the network as suggested would be any faster, I doubt the XP machine has a gigabit network card, most likely has a 10/100.

I have a new 249GB Fat32 flash drive and I used it on XP and w10 and both times I tried to transfer 103GB files to it.

I'm willing to bet money your issue is (partly) due to the partition type. FAT32 cannot allocate space for any single file larger than 4GB. If you have any, those won't be copied (so XP says all is good and it's technically correct... larger files get skipped).

Driver updates and port speeds aside, your partition type is a contributing factor. Try formatting to NTFS and using the fastest ports on each PC.

hi, from a reputable online site. Why?

Several years ago when they first came out I ordered a 256 gigabyte flash drive from China at a very low price. The drive would report it was 256 gigabyte but I couldn't transfer more than about 10 gig to it.
There were several other people who reported the same thing on the sellers sitr so apparently the sellers had managed to alter the size reported.

Tried to reformat the drive and that ended that. Drive became useless.

I tried on w10 and it was still slow

---------- Post added at 10:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 PM ----------

Thanks for Speccy. I've attached an image. Not sure if it'll work, it's not showing in preview post

Back
Top Bottom