PC starts but doesn't work

Launch321

Beta member
Hey, so I started having this problem where while doing anything on my PC it randomly decides to crash and when I try to reboot it, it doesn't work. The PC turns on, beeps once and nothing proceeds to happen. Monitor, keyboard, mouse doesn't light up and stays off. I figured it might be the CPU, because it gets really hot while trying to boot and after successfully booting.

BIOS - American Hightrends

Solutions for the processor getting hot: Clean the dust and apply thermal paste.

Also try downloading you motherboard's manual and find out what the single beep means.

It's American Megatrends and these are the beep codes.

AMI BIOS beep codes

Below are the AMI BIOS beep codes that can occur. However, because of the wide variety of different computer manufacturers with this BIOS, the beep codes may vary.
Beep Code Descriptions 1 short DRAM refresh failure. 2 short Parity circuit failure. 3 short Base 64 K RAM failure. 4 short System timer failure. 5 short Process failure. 6 short Keyboard controller Gate A20 error. 7 short Virtual mode exception error. 8 short Display memory Read/Write test failure. 9 short ROM BIOS checksum failure. 10 short CMOS shutdown Read/Write error. 11 short Cache memory error. 1 long, 3 short Conventional/Extended memory failure. 1 long, 8 short Display/Retrace test failed. two-tone siren Low CPU fan speed, voltage level issue.

Assume you leave it powered off overnight and then turn it on. Will it run for several minutes and then die?

If so....check to see if the fan running in the power supply.

Have you taken the cover off and looked to see if the fan is running on the processor?

Is the cpu fan choked with dust/fluff? Is there restricted airflow to the rest of the machine?

Back
Top Bottom