weird computer

Wallaby Dan

Fully Optimized
my nephew has a old computer. it has ddr2 and a am2+ processor it had a single core semperon processor in it it had one stick of ram in it. it was a single 2 gig ram. i had the old processor that celery gave me with the msi board. it had a 2 gig and a 1 gig stick on it. put it all together and the fans come on and the power light also. the computer won't start up. the monitor won't come on and the mouse doesn't light up. there is no beeps from the motherboard. i pulled the processor back out and placed the old single core in. took out the other stick of ram out and still nothing. other than the ram i put back in no other changes. monitor is not hd. its a dell, with a serial cable for its connection. i know its junk but i want to give him something to use till he can get back to work. help!:eek:

So what you did was putting the 2GB stick on the MSI board, and then when it didn't work you put it all back together as it was originally?

no i put that 2 gig stick into his old motherboard. i also tried the swap of processor . he had a single core and i had a duel core i could put in. when i couldn't get it to fire back up i put it all back to original and then it wouldn't start even then. the monitor and the mouse don't come on to work. i am wondering if i cooked the board with the upgrade as its a older model compaq. dated 2009. i went to hp site, and checked to see what could be used in it before i tried anything. it has windows 7 home premium in it with 64 bit and a 320 gig drive and all cinections are sata for the hardrive and dvd burner. i saw no blown caps and board and case both are really clean!

Even when you put everything back it doesn't work? Make sure you are using the same memory slot. Maybe one of the slots is shot, and you are using that one instead of the one that worked before.

Also, since you swapped processors, check that you didn't bend any pins while manipulating it. Also, if everything is properly connected, then maybe you killed one of the components with an electrostatic discharge.

Try booting without essential components and go from there.

I guess, but you should know what you need to buy, or even if you need to.

Have you tried all the memory sticks on the MSI board? Just to check if they work.

board is a asus m2n68-la and i found 2 that are a match. i have one more thing to look at and if that is ok, i'm going for another board. i will let you know. thanks for the help!

---------- Post added at 12:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 PM ----------

i wish the msi board would work in that computer case. this hp has the board backwards and no way to mount it. sucks because its just sitting there.

ok, just for kicks i put the msi motherboard in it. swapped the processor and ram everything hooked perfect. only thing i connected was mouse, keyboard, monitor and power. it came on, started loading and shut down. i double checked all the connections, it stays on about 30 seconds before it shuts off. the power button blinks blue/yellow. never saw the hard drive light on. the book says it needs 350 watts. his power supply is 250 watts. i am thinking the computer is running below wattage and voltage so it shuts itself off. do i have the right idea or am i pissing on a spark plug?

the book that came with the msi motherboard. it said it needs 350watts. thepower supply in it is only 250 watts. the cpu draws 95 watts itself!

Back
Top Bottom