Building an external hard drive

NeedSomeHelp1

Beta member
Hello everyone,

First, thank you for reading this post and giving me input on what is possible/what I should do. I have a very old G Tech hard drive that uses FW800 and has 256 GB. It had been great for the purposes that I have been using it but recently I exceeded the storage limit. I really like the enclosure quite a bit and want to know if it is recommended that I install a new and bigger driver. What I want to do is install a couple of TBs of SSD and put in a new IO/mini pci board so that it can out put to either USB 3 and above or thunderbolt 2. I have attach the photo of the driver's guts. Let me know if this is a lost cause or the start of something better. Here is the photo
4BcaJif.jpg

Cheers.

Using the enclosure shouldn't be a problem I guess, as long as you can isolate the components and can fit them in there, although I don't see the point. Most cases have very practical placeholders for drives.

However, it would be useful to see your whole case and specs. If you are still using FireWire and IDE drives, chances are your computer is kinda old, and investing all that cash (because a couple of TB on SSDs is quite the investment) would first require a check to avoid bottlenecking.

I think the issue you will run into is that the circuit board inside those cases is a custom unit and made specifically for that case. I don't think you'll find a generic unit that will fit in the case.

I know you said you liked the case but I would suggest looking for a new case that you like and installing the SSD in it.

I think the issue you will run into is that the circuit board inside those cases is a custom unit and made specifically for that case. I don't think you'll find a generic unit that will fit in the case.

I know you said you liked the case but I would suggest looking for a new case that you like and installing the SSD in it.

Strollin is probably right. Unless money is no object, it'll probably be much more cost effective to find a new enclosure. it'll be difficult finding a board that will fit that box. Though, since you're putting ssd's in there, it might have enough leftover space to jerry rig something, and just feed the cables out through the back... You might try just getting a cheap-o 2.5 inch enclosure and just see if that'll fit inside the old case...

You might try just getting a cheap-o 2.5 inch enclosure and just see if that'll fit inside the old case...

After mulling it over, i think this is the best option. It looks like there's a usb port on the back of the one you have currently, so if you find an enclosure with a female USB-A port, you should be able to butt it up against the current opening and maybe super glue it in.

Something like this maybe:

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Tool-free-Enclosure-Optimized-EC-UASP/dp/B00OJ3UJ2S

but it doesn have an on/off switch that may not line up with any openings.

Back
Top Bottom