Small Computer Repair Start-up

Make sure you have a passion for computer repair and not doing it because you think there is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. The money will be there you just have to go get it and passion is a huge driving force.

PC's are getting well past being user maintainable - surface mount soldering, much more being in “Software” than hardware, the compactness, and then you are up against the manufacturers .

ERRMM okay seeing that you quoted part of my post I'm going to say, "I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about." PC repair shops are going out of business all over the world. Computers are so, relatively, cheap these days why get them fixed? Just buy a new one. I believe the money is in big business these day and I'm not talking about office computers. AI, robotics etc etc. Domestic computing repair is a non starter. I will admit that my attitude to branching out on your own is if you cannot do it and make a massive fast buck and get out rich there is no point. You might as well work for the man.

you said, I'm not saying don't but...

what I meant was, you were the closest one that got to it... but, I thought I'd lay it out in really obvious terms.

advice is cheap, (free here) devices are cheap and disposable, and increasingly integrated and subminature. it's not an easy game to get into, and like I said, when was the last time you saw a PC shop that wasn't closing down?

what I mean is, they are all closing down. - and that alone is a pretty good reason not to start a shop!

I think we're on the same page here, there is no pleasure in stamping on a guys dream to open a repair shop, but similarly, there would be no pleasure in watching the OP piss away all his money.

I don't think that a buck necessarily has to be a "fast" buck, but there definitely needs to be some kind of money in it.

as an example, I work "for the man" I earn a good wage, I possibly won't have to work right to retirement age, assuming I can continue to live relatively frugally there is no reason that some sort of early retirement isn't on the cards.
I was talking to a friend about starting a business with him, he had a lot of big ideas, I said, it'd be a lot of fun, but we need to go through the money first, because if I never get to retire, that's going to be a real problem for me.

Right now, I believe that's what a computer shop is, you *might* get enough business through the door that you can afford to eat, but you're unlikely to save a pension, buy a house or ever be able to afford to stop working.

Starting your own business is very risky, and the potential reward is not as good as it used to be.

It doesn't have to be fast bucks and big bucks at the same time. Just one of the two would make it worth it, but I don't think you can achieve either right now. There is too much of everything and nothing is new anymore.

I'd say "keep your day job", but there is no way you have time for both, so just keep your day job. Unless, of course, you have properly studied the market and I'm just being a fool.

Once upon a time there was a big explosion of PC shops in the 80s-90s when PC clones became popular. Then the internet became popular and they went to dot coms.

Those days are done with and the brick and mortar PC shops are fading away. Some however went to gaming to stay alive.

I have a tech business, about 3rd on google in my area, I get around 3-4 calls per year. I have a full time job to pay the bills, if I get a customer its play money.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom