Cannot copy files from place to place.

You seem to be lacking permissions.

Do it from the command line. Suppose you want to copy file_1 to /etc/X11 and rename it to file_2

$ sudo cp /path/to/file_1 /etc/X11/file_2

Then enter your user password and done (all of this considering your user is on the sudoers file). If it's a folder do

$ sudo cp -r /path/to/dir_1 /etc/X11

Warning: all of this commands are irreversible. Research them before using them.

---------- Post added at 12:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 AM ----------

If you need more help, you'll have to post your partition scheme, and wether the drives are external or internal.

I looked up information like that up earlier. I have no idea what Any of that means. I will have a computer person come over and do that for me.

And there you have the problem with anything Linux. It's a whole new way of doing things and it aint easy in spite of what the Linux officiandos will tell you. There are loads of forums and help web sites out there but if you want to use Linux you have a massive learning curve to overcome I'm afraid.

If you want to become a Linux user and don't know, or don't want to learn what "cp" does, I'm afraid you are in for a painful ride. I suggest you start reading. And please, don't read the "man pages". They are absolute trash for begginers.

Logging in as root is bad advice. You can make all kinds of damage.

Changing permissions on directories and files with chmod is bad advice also. Same as before.

Just make sure "sudo" is properly configured (it is by default in Ubuntu), and run the commands I told you about, and try not to override important files.

You're most likely logged in as a user instead of an administrator and, as a result, lacking permission to write to the other drive.

The easiest thing would be to temporarily log in as administrator.

Alternatively, you can run the chmod command with sudo:
https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/linux-chmod-command/

Chmod can be used to change permissions.

To me that looks like foreign language.

IMG_5334.jpg

I still have no idea what that means. Using Linux because Windows computer does not the files.

If you want to become a Linux user and don't know, or don't want to learn what "cp" does, I'm afraid you are in for a painful ride. I suggest you start reading. And please, don't read the "man pages". They are absolute trash for begginers.

Logging in as root is bad advice. You can make all kinds of damage.

Changing permissions on directories and files with chmod is bad advice also. Same as before.

Just make sure "sudo" is properly configured (it is by default in Ubuntu), and run the commands I told you about, and try not to override important files.

Do not want to become a Linux user. Just want to copy files from one external hard drive to another external hard drive. Once that is done that Linux computer will be a dust collector.

---------- Post added at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

Most likely what I will do is have a computer person do this for me.

Looks easy when I see this typed on the screen. But, still looks like some foreign language. I could send my computer to one of you guys and let yiu set this up for me. I never installed this terminal programme. The computer came press installed with Linux.

Item comes exactly as pictured. AC adapter NOT included.
· we have installed Linux Ubuntu 14.04LTS (password: password)
·

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom