Trying to find chip set drivers for a PC desktop

TheCollector

Baseband Member
Hi there,

I have acquired an RM Pentium 4 computer I really like the oldskool look of it, so had to have it. I bought it mainly just for the case for a project, I got it cheap as it was sold to me as scrap but I managed to get it all working it turned out to be bad RAM which was easily sorted, I have reinstalled the Windows OS and I'm having trouble finding out what model this RM computer is so that I can locate the chipset drivers, I'm missing 3 drivers VGA Display Driver and the Audio Driver also the LAN Driver.

I have attracted a picture

No picture came through, but look on the motherboard itself and try to find a printed model/serial number. You just need brand and model number and you should be able to get the board drivers... I imagine you knew this so please post back with clarifying questions.

No picture came through, but look on the motherboard itself and try to find a printed model/serial number. You just need brand and model number and you should be able to get the board drivers... I imagine you knew this so please post back with clarifying questions.

I should have done that in the first place :facepalm:

The motherboard is a MICRO-STAR MS 6787

I'm not finding any driver links online its either blank pages or 404 not found pages.

Is there a motherboard database of some kind or any better way to search for the MICRO-STAR MS 6787 chipset drivers?

Even a manual might help me to identify what built in hardware is on the motherboard and maybe I can look for each driver that way.

My only other option is buying a USB to LAN with its driver, then hooking the computer up to the internet and using something like driver doctor. I have no wifi so has to be via LAN, it could be much quicker if I can find a download link for the chipset drivers.

Any help is much appreciated I'd be a very happy man if theres a download link available.

Do you have an internet connection on the computer? Which version of Windows did you install? Windows 10 should detect and download drivers automatically.

If you do have an internet connection, and don't have Windows 10 or Windows 10 doesn't find anything, you can try Driver Booster. I have found difficult to find drivers and a number of other things (such as BIOS updates among other things) for old hardware, and third party sites (and software in this case) have been of great help in the recent past.

The computer has Windows XP installed "I know its outdated" but I didn't plan on having the Internet on that computer anyway so I figured that XP would be fine and bearing in mind that its only a Pentium 4.

My only means of connecting to the is through the LAN, my router is faulty so the wifi doesn't work. I found a PCI LAN card in my box of spares and installed that to the computer and was able to connect to the internet, now that the computer is connected to the Internet I thought it be very simple to install the missing drivers but I was wrong, I tried everything I could think off but nothing worked it just proved to be a huge headache. I couldn't update drivers neither could I run SlimDrivers software which is what I normally use and has always worked for me but in this case I just got error after error no matter what driver software I tried the computer either hung and did nothing or an error would occur so I've given up with it now.

I think my best option would be to get a lager hard drive and install Windows7 and get a product key from somewhere and then try updating the drivers again, if that fails then I'll upgrade the motherboard as a last resort.

Last edited:
Well I did a clean install of Windows7 everything was going well got most drivers installed apart from the sound after that I restarted the computer and now heres a new problem every time I click on the control panel it blue screens on me so I've had enough now out comes the problematic motherboard. I might smash the mother board with a hammer to get all my stress out then put the rest of the computer away for another time and work on other things.

Just a thought, Did you try updating the video files from Device Manager? Sometimes the simple is overlooked. Sounds like a fun project. Wd65

Just a thought, Did you try updating the video files from Device Manager? Sometimes the simple is overlooked. Sounds like a fun project. Wd65

That was the first thing I did but it just said Windows was unable to locate the drivers. I needed the Graphics driver more than anything tho.

I might try one last thing and disable the on board sound in the BIOS and use a USB sound device instead when in Windows, maybe that might be causing Windows7 to blue screen when ever I try to access the control panel. Interestingly enough it will only blue screen when I access the control panel otherwise programs function normally, maybe theres a hardware issue with the built in sound chip or is conflicting with something else, it never happened in XP and only seems to happen in Windows7 after I've tried to install the on
board sound which is the correct driver which leads me to believe that there is a possibility that the sound chip has failed.

Windows7 will run OK but as soon as Windows updates or installs the sound driver thats when problems occur

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom