Need Help Setting up SCCM 2016 (1606) for PXE Boot and OS Deployment

Jake22

Baseband Member
I've been trying to set SCCM 2016 up so I can use it to deploy OSs via PXE boot. But I just CANNOT get my client machines to boot correctly. It keeps booting to WDS and not SCCM. I enabled PXE boot (all options and password) on the distribution point, enabled DHCP on a separate server, and distributed both boot images and enabled PXE support on them as well. Also, when I create the Task Sequence and go to distribute it, it allows me to deploy it (PXE and boot media only), but does NOT give me any distribution points to distribute it to. After hours of rebuilding my VM network (Windows Server 2016 Standard running in a VMWare Workstation 14 environment), reinstalling and re-configuring everything, I STILL can't get my client machines to boot correctly. Do I even need WDS installed? If so, how am I supposed to configure it for SCCM PXE boot? Do I configure it before or after I install SCCM? I just can't seem to find a nice, clear, easy-to-follow, step-by-step guide on how to properly set all this up. PLEASE HELP!!!

I think I might be having some trouble understanding the setup.

When you say you have setup DHCP, I assume you mean scope options 66/67?

Is the WDS server and SCCM configured on the same server?

You don't need windows deployment services. (or at least you didn't used to need it!)

-that isn't to say that you must not run WDS and SCCM in the same company as you may have different reasons for running each, e.g. deploying servers using WDS and deploying workstations using SCCM. - there is no problem running both, BUT obviously your DHCP scope options can only point to one server on that network, (though in an enterprise you likely have multiple networks, segregating work stations from business servers. so with different DHCP helper options per network (or different DHCP servers on each network) you should be able to accomplish that (if that is what you want.)

There is a guide here to setting up SCCM to deploy images using PXE boot to workstations:
https://prajwaldesai.com/deploying-windows-7-using-sccm-2012-r2/

(I know that is for 2012, but it should be similar in 2016.)

I have 2 virtual servers (1 DC and 1 SCCM server). I have DHCP running on my DC and WDS running on my SCCM server. Thanks for the guide. I'll take a look at at.

OK, I followed the article. I enabled PXE on the distribution point (all options and set the password). I then distributed the x86 and x64 boot images and enabled PXE on both. I then created the task sequence and deployed it (made available to media and PXE). Then, I tried booting my client machine but DHCP wasn't responding so I went into WDS and enabled the PXE response to respond to ALL clients. After that, I booted the client again and this time it responds. I pressed F12 to continue but got an error code: 0xc0000098. I then set my DHCP option 66 to the IP of my SCCM server and option 67 to smsboot\x64\pxeboot.com but keep running into the same exact thing. Why???

Update:

I finally got rid of the 0xc98 error. I created a task sequence and deployed it to the Unknown Computers collection (only media and PXE). Then I booted my client machine (64-bit) and this time it keeps saying:

PXE Boot aborted. Booting to next device...
PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM.
Operating System not found

Update:

I fixed it. I just needed to wait for the unknown computers (x64 and x86) to show up in the collections which is where I deployed the task sequence to. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom