Task not working in Task Scheduler

gib88

Baseband Member
Hello,

I have a PowerShell script that restarts our SMTP service when it's down. It looks like this:

$Computer = "localhost"
$SMTPServiceName = "SMTPSVC"
$AllServices = get-service -ComputerName $Computer
$SMTPService

foreach ($Service in $AllServices)
{
if ($Service.name -eq $SMTPServiceName)
{
$SMTPService = $Service
break
}
}

if ($SMTPService.status -eq "StopPending")
{
write-host "Service" $SMTPService "is pending stop. Attempting to stop and restart."
$servicePID = (gwmi win32_Service | where {$_.Name -eq $SMTPServiceName}).ProcessID
Stop-Process $ServicePID
Start-Service -InputObject (get-Service -ComputerName $Computer -Name $SMTPServiceName)
write-host "Service" $SMTPService "restarted."
}
elseif ($SMTPService.status -eq "Paused")
{
write-host "Service" $SMTPService "is paused. Attempting to resume."
Resume-Service -InputObject (get-Service -ComputerName $Computer -Name $SMTPServiceName)
write-host "Service" $SMTPService "resumed."
}
elseif ($SMTPService.status -eq "Stopped")
{
write-host "Service" $SMTPService "is stopped. Attempting to restart."
Start-Service -InputObject (get-Service -ComputerName $Computer -Name $SMTPServiceName)
write-host "Service" $SMTPService "restarted."
}
else
{
write-host "Service" $SMTPService "is running."
}

I've verified that this works. I shut the SMTP service down, run the script, and the SMTP service is back up and running.

The I created a .bat file for Task Scheduler to run. It looks like this:

cd "C:\Scripts\" & powershell.exe C:\Scripts\restart-smtp.ps1

I've verified that this works. I shut the SMTP service down, run the batch file, and the SMTP service is back up and running.

Now I want to get the Task Scheduler to run it every 5 minutes. I setup the task, point it to the batch file, but it doesn't work. I'm wondering if someone can help me troubleshoot this.

The only error I get is: The operator or administrator has refused the request. (0x800710E0)

I'm telling it to run as the same administrator that I log in as, the same administrator that runs the script and the batch file from the PowerShell prompt.

Here are my task settings:

task scheduler.png

One thing you might notice is that History is disabled. I'm wondering if I would see error logs in the history if it was enabled, but I'm not sure how to enable it.

This is running on Windows Server 2016.

rather than running the batch file, try running the command in the batch file as your scheduled task.

Back
Top Bottom