Windows 10

strollin

Knowitall!
I have read lots of threads on forums where someone rants and raves about Windows 10 and how much they hate it.

My experience with Windows 10 has been very exceptional. I started running Win 10 when the very first public Beta was released and it has been the most stable and trouble free OS I have ever used (and I've used a bunch over the last 34 years).

I personally have 2 desktop computers and 3 laptops running Win 10 and also have Win 10 running on my work laptop. All 4 of my kids run Windows 10 on their computers without issue. My sister and BIL run Win 10 on their computers as well. I have another system that I run the latest Beta version of Win 10 on. No problems with any of these systems running Win 10.

I loved Win 7 when I first started using it but gave up on it quite awhile ago because every computer I encountered running Windows 7 that attempted to run updates ended up with the cpu stuck running at 100%. The only way to stop that was to disable the update service and reboot. My personal computers did it, my work computers did it and friends and family's computers did it. Have never had any issues with updates in Win 10.

I love Windows 10 too. The only people that hate it are anti-conformists and those who haven't tried to use a Linux distro.

Its been better than w7 or worse than w7. Depends on what is going on with both OS's. For the most part i have been using 10 over 7. I use 7 for older games that will not play nice on 10. I wonder if sometimes if the pro version is part of that but don't know. Overall, i like 10 but seem to have issues with it i didn't have with 7. then there was XP....

I've tried many different distros of Linux. Linux is not something I would recommend to the masses but it's usable. I have never encountered a Linux distro that I would want to run as my main OS though.

I have a number of Raspberry Pi computers and they run a cut down Debian version of Linux called Raspbian.

I've tried many different distros of Linux. Linux is not something I would recommend to the masses but it's usable. I have never encountered a Linux distro that I would want to run as my main OS though.

I have a number of Raspberry Pi computers and they run a cut down Debian version of Linux called Raspbian.

I'm running Debian with the core version of LXDE in an old laptop. It's good for web browsing, maybe some office work but Linux remains incompatible with most of the best sowftware available for personal computers. It's certainly more responsive and less resource-intensive than Windows 10, but I would never use it as my main OS.

My opinion is not based on a certain distro, but the entire Linux and BSD family. Seems that no major developer is willing to write software for Linux (Windows is likely to be responsible in my opinion).

Its been better than w7 or worse than w7. Depends on what is going on with both OS's. For the most part i have been using 10 over 7. I use 7 for older games that will not play nice on 10. I wonder if sometimes if the pro version is part of that but don't know. Overall, i like 10 but seem to have issues with it i didn't have with 7. then there was XP....
quite, windows 10 is great on my work laptop,
I use windows 7 in favor of windows 10 on an old laptop, simply because there are no drivers available for a piece of hardware that I want to use when working on that machine.

so on that spare laptop, windows 10 would be much worse.

I'm running Debian with the core version of LXDE in an old laptop. It's good for web browsing, maybe some office work but Linux remains incompatible with most of the best sowftware available for personal computers. It's certainly more responsive and less resource-intensive than Windows 10, but I would never use it as my main OS.

My opinion is not based on a certain distro, but the entire Linux and BSD family. Seems that no major developer is willing to write software for Linux (Windows is likely to be responsible in my opinion).

I find that strange...
there are plenty of utilities for android, that's just linux. (unix like)
there are plenty of programs written for MAC, that's just BSD. (unix like)

you'd think people would be tripping over themselves to have programs also run on Linux since there should seem to be very little extra effort involved in porting from either android or macos once all coding is done for those.

quite, windows 10 is great on my work laptop,
I use windows 7 in favor of windows 10 on an old laptop, simply because there are no drivers available for a piece of hardware that I want to use when working on that machine.

so on that spare laptop, windows 10 would be much worse.

I find that strange...
there are plenty of utilities for android, that's just linux. (unix like)
there are plenty of programs written for MAC, that's just BSD. (unix like)

you'd think people would be tripping over themselves to have programs also run on Linux since there should seem to be very little extra effort involved in porting from either android or macos once all coding is done for those.
Android apps don't use Xorg, they use the Dalvik virtual machine, and no one seems willing or able to port that to Linux. Maybe because Android is too mainstream, you know how Linux guys are. Ubuntu developers tried to do something about this but I don't know what. Also, let's not forget Android uses the arm architecture

Also, I'm not sure how much BSD is left in iOS so I won't comment on that. Probably something similar happens as before. Apple just grabbed the kernel because they didn't want to write one from scratch, heavily modified it and a completely different thing was born.

I used a preview build before the proper release and have used it when it launched. I've had no real issues with program or driver compatibility. I've shifted majority of my family over to Windows 10 too and they don't seem to have any problems and also removed their av's and replaced with defender and it does the job perfectly.

I loved Win 7 when I first started using it but gave up on it quite awhile ago because every computer I encountered running Windows 7 that attempted to run updates ended up with the cpu stuck running at 100%. The only way to stop that was to disable the update service and reboot. My personal computers did it, my work computers did it and friends and family's computers did it.

I have this same issue with relatives' computers when they refuse to let me put them on win10. After some googling i found out it's because there was an update to windows update that must be installed manually before windows update will work automatically again without hogging resources.
I wish i would have bookmarked the pages where i found the solution the first time, because i've had to do it 3 or 4 times now, and each time i have to install like 4-5 updates manually because i can never remember which one it is.

EDIT:
I'm using the slow track for insider preview enterprise builds, and have been since before it was officially released. I'll never go back to windows 7 on my personal machines, but i don't mind using it on other people's computers if i absolutely have to.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom