No monitor signal ON when installing Linux

frldyz

In Runtime
Trying to install Mint on another PC.

The SSD had a secure erase with parted magic and is empty.

I have the bootable USB stick.

But my monitor ( tried DVI-D, HDMI and VGA ) wont get a signal.

I'm installing mint on an i7 gigabyte gaming 3 mobo with 970 gpu.

So this is interesting.
I took out the SSD from my lap top ( the one im on right now ).
Placed the blank Samsung Pro SSD in this laptop. And figure I would try to instal linux mint onto the SSD via this laptop.
I get on the linux desktop and start the install. But my keyboard wont work? I tried hooking up another keyboard via USB. Nothing.
Mouse works fine via USB.

This sounds like corrupted drivers or just plain bad drivers.

Elaborate please.

---------- Post added at 05:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 PM ----------

I just turned on the computer with no drive in it.
I assume it would still turn the monitor on or go into bios.
But still no signal to the monitor?

Does it sound like some connection came loose?

Your usb may be corrupted or the drivers are not correct for your motherboard. You could have a bad copy of the install on the usb. I am not sure if no drive in it will let it come on or not. I would think it would bring up Bios screen, Never tried it before.

Well I turned on the computer with no drive.
Still no signal to the screen.

I used this exact same USB to install linux on an older PC this summer....

usb's can go bad. I am thinking that you have more than a software issue, I am thinking a hardware issue. I hope someone else can help as i am running out of ideas. This does sound stupid but did you try and manually turn on the monitor?

Last edited:
Linux can be tricky to use on certain hardware. You should try searching for your exact hardware online and see if anyone else ran into a similar problem.

How did you create the bootable USB? Is it for BIOS or UEFI? If you are using a GPT drive and trying to boot on BIOS that won't work.

We need more info to help you. Hardware, how you created the USB, if you can create it again, re-download the iso and create it again using Rufus.

Exactly what Mint version it is, etc. Try to give more info please.

Linux can be tricky to use on certain hardware. You should try searching for your exact hardware online and see if anyone else ran into a similar problem.

How did you create the bootable USB? Is it for BIOS or UEFI? If you are using a GPT drive and trying to boot on BIOS that won't work.

We need more info to help you. Hardware, how you created the USB, if you can create it again, re-download the iso and create it again using Rufus.

Exactly what Mint version it is, etc. Try to give more info please.

I made this USB last year

I had an old PC in the basement. This past summer I secure erased the drive and installed Linux Mint 18.2.

I did use Rufus.
I had no issues installing off this USB onto that old drive.

Unless the USB stick just went bad sitting in the drawer for a few months. No crazy temps.

I have turned on the monitor manually. They do work.
Just is no detecting any signal. I have 4 monitors.

3 Acer 144mhz
1 POS old optiquest. .

I guess I will just try and start from scratch.
Hopefully soon I will get some time and check all the connections inside.
It almost sounds like something got disconnected. Thats my gut instinct.

With this USB that I currently have mint 18.2 on. Can I do a secure wipe erase with parted magic? This download rufus again and the latest mint and see of that works.

?????

May I ask what is your obsession with securely overwriting everything? It's very counterproductive, and it generates excessive wear in your flash storage (including SSDs). Don't take the question the wrong way, I'm just curious, and trying to save you some time.

Just grab Rufus, select your drive and the ISO (Mint is currently on version 18.3, so its best if you have the latest version, it will be compatible with more hardware, so it may solve your issue, if that's the origin), select your flash drive, select "use MBR partition table for BIOS" and press start. Rufus will erase all the data, repartition the drive and create the bootable drive.

Please report back with your results.

Back
Top Bottom