windows 10...again...

Add that i forgot the start of this issue, was when i woke up the computer it gave me a red box saying it was write full and needed to remove back up files and also downloaded files. Downloaded files was 111gb full of kb4054517!! After that is when i started the fixes

So far the computer is working pretty fast again. All the freezing went away and online seems faster too. So i guess i fixed it this time. Now for the next hurdle, i know it will come, With windows 10 it just is a given anymore....

I have tried Linux and just can't figure out the ins and outs of it. I guess i'm to old to change. Still run two drives with w7 on the one and w10 on the other. I wish i could have bought a copy of 8.1 but this thing would have updated to 10 anyway if i didn't keep a close watch on it. Any system can be a royal PITA!!! Seems back when the 2000 came out what a mess. Vista was no better. Each has there goodies and bad.. just have to take the good with the bad and get on with it. I do remember issues with them all some more than others. 2000 was a PITA. XP not to bad, Vista shit, 7 real good, 8 junk, 8.1 not to bad, 10.. not so great. maybe 11 will come out soon and it will be like 7 really good! Biggest reason not to use Linux is My weather programs do not work in it. It almost don't like 7, the new software came out a little over a year ago and its 10 friendly. Thats about right. It plays nice with 10 better than anything else including 7. never had the chance with 8.1, but it was supposed to work with it and 7. The new software coming out with the Atlas Elite series will be 10 all the way. They just finally got new software for Macs! I don't have enough info as to if this new software will be Mac as well or not. But it will only work on w10 for now. It works better on Pro than Home. Maybe because its pro software or something. With the Weather Service involved anything is possible. All i know is when i upgrade my weather station next year, I will not have any choice when that software comes out. All said, it will be over 500 bucks for that new weather station, and thats with discount! Not cheap at all. Anyway, itt is what it is.....

If you do decide to get into Linux, there are a few things I learned from when I was learning. First off, read all the documentation you can find about the distro you are using (I've found Fedora to have good info for begginers). Secondly, stick to the user-friendly distros (Mint, Ubuntu, Fedora), and last, read "The Linux Bible" by Negus. That book is fantastic.

What is this software you speak of? Maybe you can make it work with WINE? If Windows really bothers you so much you should try it. Being old isn't an excuse!!

Its the software that comes from the weather station. Its a download that installs the drivers for the usb. Also handles the info in backup in case there is a power outage. It will send again as soon as power is restored. The new hub stores it in its own ms card. Its about 10 kbs a minite.The next gen will not use or will not require a computer. Just a wifi. Thats part of the upgrade i was talking about. It also has its own battery backup. I will have a different online screen and the new station itself has more measurements for more info for nws, wu and 4 others that are currently using our service. I am looking for the new system to come out of beta testing and we can get our grubby hands on it! I tried mint but just not easy. Maybe as soon as i can upgrade the weather station i can take out w10 and try mint again. That or maybe get another hdd.

Last edited:
Its the software that comes from the weather station. Its a download that installs the drivers for the usb. Also handles the info in backup in case there is a power outage. It will send again as soon as power is restored. The new hub stores it in its own ms card. Its about 10 kbs a minite.The next gen will not use or will not require a computer. Just a wifi. Thats part of the upgrade i was talking about. It also has its own battery backup. I will have a different online screen and the new station itself has more measurements for more info for nws, wu and 4 others that are currently using our service. I am looking for the new system to come out of beta testing and we can get our grubby hands on it! I tried mint but just not easy. Maybe as soon as i can upgrade the weather station i can take out w10 and try mint again. That or maybe get another hdd.

Another HDD? To do what?

I know, Just want it on a separate drive in case i screw it up.That way i don't mess up maybe both OS. I did that once already with mint.

Back
Top Bottom