windows 10...again...

Wallaby Dan

Fully Optimized
When i woke up the computer this morning, It gave me a warning that my hard drive was full. the back-up files and downloaded files combined to 120 gb!! I had 10 to remove the files getting my space back. I found a update that hadn't downloaded or installed. So i went to download and a screen came up with "needed to troubleshoot windows update". Now it shows another window showing it has found a issue and asked me to have 10 fix it. Under resolving issues it says " Starting Bits Service". Its been at this for a hour. The hard drive light on the front of the tower hasn't blinked for almost all that time. Should I just stop it and try downloading direct from Microsoft?? What is Bits service anyway?? Another thing is the mouse seems to have a hiccup moving around the screen. Keeps freezing for a second then trys to move wherever i was trying to move it too.I was thinking about a restart and going to Microsoft for the download but wondering if that would screw it up more? Any ideas?? Help!

It wouldn't do it so i went to microsoft and downloaded and opened. It came with a error message that said the usial message of not for this version of windows. Hehe, one window don't know what the other window is suppose to do! So i go back to the windows update and it is downloaded to 99%. Ok should i delete this and try it again? I got the warning failed to install code 0x80070020.

Step 1: Remove Windows.
Step 2: Install Linux Mint.
Step 3: Profit!

Just kidding. Did you search the error code?

It may also help if you search for the specific update you are trying to install (KBxxx...). Sometimes there are specific bugs related to a particular update. For example, the other day I got an update that was not meant for my specific build, and I couldn't apply it.

From the history at ms update, in reguards to issue with install of KB4054517 it only gets to 99%install and stops this update stops this issue and fixes updating. KB4058702 fixes this issue.
I did both and right now it is restarting. Hope this works...

Google came up with the kb number and took me to ms downloads.i found out the info on ms site. My computer wasn't much help. Google didn't have much but to go to ms. There are several versions of the kb4054507. You need to select the proper download. And its a good idea to download and install the kb4058702 first, then the other download.

Ok Dan, I'm having trouble understanding what you mean. Let's review:

I found a update that hadn't downloaded or installed.

Which one?

Now it shows another window showing it has found a issue and asked me to have 10 fix it.

What's the issue? Was it fixed?

Under resolving issues it says " Starting Bits Service". Its been at this for a hour. The hard drive light on the front of the tower hasn't blinked for almost all that time. Should I just stop it and try downloading direct from Microsoft?? What is Bits service anyway??

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa362708(v=vs.85).aspx

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ng-hours/c3fef79a-3e15-4b94-84eb-4b951ace6360

Another thing is the mouse seems to have a hiccup moving around the screen. Keeps freezing for a second then trys to move wherever i was trying to move it too.I was thinking about a restart and going to Microsoft for the download but wondering if that would screw it up more? Any ideas?? Help!

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...s-8-1-windows-8-or-windows-7-hangs-or-freezes

Scroll down till you find the section that reads "troubleshooting a generic freeze".

It wouldn't do it so i went to microsoft and downloaded and opened.

Wouldn't do what? What did you download and opened?

So i go back to the windows update and it is downloaded to 99%. Ok should i delete this and try it again? I got the warning failed to install code 0x80070020.

What is it downloading?

A bunch of double talk as usual.Right now i am letting it try and download and install 4 updates that it wants. One is again, again!

Which ones are those updates? Were they installed succesfully?

From the history at ms update, in reguards to issue with install of KB4054517 it only gets to 99%install and stops this update stops this issue and fixes updating. KB4058702 fixes this issue.
I did both and right now it is restarting. Hope this works...

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...fails-to/5bde0909-3d46-4725-8681-d5d500780963

See if that helps.

Google came up with the kb number and took me to ms downloads.i found out the info on ms site. My computer wasn't much help. Google didn't have much but to go to ms. There are several versions of the kb4054507. You need to select the proper download. And its a good idea to download and install the kb4058702 first, then the other download.

Do you mean KB4054517? Did it work?

As a final note, you should try this:

1. Open a command prompt with Admin rights
  2. Run sfc /scannow

That should detect and fix any corrupted system files.

Last edited:
Ok, i will see if i can answer these interesting questions:
1):) KB4054517 was failed first time on 1/10/2018. It from what i could tell had tried to install several times after a restart or whenever. I tried twice myself before i finally tried to fix the issue.
2):)a popup window came up when i asked the troubleshooter to help with this update. It came up with It. Said finally that it had found a service bits needed to restart and it came up with a message that it couldn't do it. Gave a error message. So, off to ms and not much help there. I went back to the kb4054517 and did the google search. It had one for ms so i went there and reading possible issues and fixes. One that had described what mine was doing. Mine would download 99% then hang. From what it said kb4058702 was the patch fix for that issue. So the fix is:delete kb4054517. Download kb4058702. Let it install. It don't have to restart on that download. Next go to ms downloads and enter kb4054517. It will come up with 7 or8 options for that download. You have to pick out the right one for your system, mine is w10 pro 64 bit 1706 build. Click that and download and install it and restart and done! What a pain!! Why couldn't ms do that instead of downloading it and having a issue that makes you have to do it all manually. Anyway, i hope this helps. Sometimes i think ms does this just to piss us off!!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom