HP Keylogger

Fortunately I would never get any crap from the computer manufacturers. The first thing I do is wipe the hard drive, delete any and all partitions including the recovery one and then do a clean install of the operating system. I then put Ccleaner on or something similar and wipe as much of the Microsoft crap off that I can. Slightly awkward with a laptop I will admit because the hard drive has to be removed so that I can use Partition Manager but hey ho as they say. I suppose I could boot from a bootable USB or DVD and partiton that way but, mostly, it's just as easy to remove the drive.

Fortunately I would never get any crap from the computer manufacturers. The first thing I do is wipe the hard drive, delete any and all partitions including the recovery one and then do a clean install of the operating system. I then put Ccleaner on or something similar and wipe as much of the Microsoft crap off that I can. Slightly awkward with a laptop I will admit because the hard drive has to be removed so that I can use Partition Manager but hey ho as they say. I suppose I could boot from a bootable USB or DVD and partiton that way but, mostly, it's just as easy to remove the drive.

The best thing would be to remove MS altogether. Sadly Linux is useless for most things right now. Not that is the developers' fault, but it's the truth.

The best thing would be to remove MS altogether. Sadly Linux is useless for most things right now. Not that is the developers' fault, but it's the truth.

That's, probably, the truest thing I have heard all year. I do use Linux but at this point in time it is just too geeky to be of any use whatsoever to the "ordinary" computer user. Like it or lump it we are stuck with Windows if we want to use a computer to it's fullest advantage. The sooner the Linux people take this on board the sooner everybody will be able to leave Microsoft behind. Unfortunately the time has not yet come to ditch Windows.

That's, probably, the truest thing I have heard all year. I do use Linux but at this point in time it is just too geeky to be of any use whatsoever to the "ordinary" computer user. Like it or lump it we are stuck with Windows if we want to use a computer to it's fullest advantage. The sooner the Linux people take this on board the sooner everybody will be able to leave Microsoft behind. Unfortunately the time has not yet come to ditch Windows.
Yeah, even if you learn Linux well (which I sort of did the last few weeks), one way or another you'll do one of three things:

1) Dual-boot Windows, at which point there is no reason to keep Linux, since Windows can do everything Linux can and more, only better, easier and faster, so you end up getting rid of Linux altogether.
2) Use a virtual machine, which is a huge waste of resources, so dual-booting ends up being much more efficient, and you are back to option 1).
3) Attempt to run programs with WINE, fail miserably and go back to option 1).

The only people that still run Linux are snobs that don't want to buy a Mac, paranoids and conspiracy theorists, or people with very specific needs like programmers and Android developers. And servers of course.

Having said that, I can see the value on the work that Linux, WINE and VM developers do. Their task is nothing if not complicated and tedious. Sadly, no one is willing to port their software to Linux, so their work is wasted. I hope that changes someday.

Hey guys, just a reminder for those who own HP laptops and haven't already heard, a researcher found they included a keylogger in the keyboard and touchpad drivers.

Fortunately I would never get any crap from the computer manufacturers. The first thing I do is wipe the hard drive,

...and then install windows and download the keyboard and touch pad drivers?

...and then install windows and download the keyboard and touch pad drivers?

And when the last time you ever downloaded a keyboard driver. The touch pad drivers do not come from the computer manufacturers but as it happens I don't download those either. The Windows generic drivers work suitably well, but then you know that don't you?

And when the last time you ever downloaded a keyboard driver. The touch pad drivers do not come from the computer manufacturers but as it happens I don't download those either. The Windows generic drivers work suitably well, but then you know that don't you?

Two weeks ago. I picked up a keyboard from goodwill that had a smart-card reader...

I wiped an old laptop a few months ago to reinstall Win10 and I didn't need to download any drivers. I assume it was because Win10 downloads every driver automatically now, including sound and graphic drivers.

Back
Top Bottom