speed trick with my 32g SDD cache disk

So, from what i read from that was the Samsung was the best, but my question is, how long in say standard use, how long could the ssd last?? Are we talking year or more than say 10 years? I am wondering if a say 120gb ssd for the operating system only. from what i saw it should last infinite.The most a operating system should use is about 4 gigs top. Should that translate to a longer life than say using a 500gb ssd for everything. I know my raptors are faster than standard 7200rpm drives but i am wondering how long they last. Raptors spin at 10000rpm. I have had older 5200rpm last 6 or 7 years. I have one that ide that has 80 gb. its still working the last time i tried. It has windows xp in it. How do you know how long the ssd drive will last over the other spin-up hdds. Are they really worth the money? I know they are faster than any regular hd, but are they really worth the cost? I thought about getting one for this computer but went with the raptors. I don't regret it. they are fast hdds. I don't know how long they will last. Just need knowledge.

No normal person should have to worry about their SSD dying. For an SSD to die you would have to write (technically what damages an SSD, and all kinds of flash memory is erasing them, not writing) about 5Gb a day for 5 years. That's why SSDs are often used for more "permanent" forms of storage (like installing programs and OSs), because it is assumed you won't be erasing or moving them all the time, unlike what you could do with images and documents. So unless you plan on reinstalling Windows everyday, an SSD should last the same as an HDD, or even more, because it doesn't have mechanical parts.

About the price being worth it, my humble opinion is that they are. Even the worst SSD would be an improvement over any HDD. The price/Gb is higher, but it is definitely worth it, even for someone that only surfs the web and writes documents. About the storage you need, unless you plan on installing heavy games or apps, any 120Gb SSD would be more than enough for you, and you'll definitely feel the difference, and if you get an 850 EVO that's like $80 or less. You could also get something cheaper with more storage, which is what I did, but that's because I play games like Fallout 4 and GTA V, which use like 80Gb each.

Thanks AMD_Man, I may try that with a ssd for the os and use the raptors for backup and programs. The only thing is how do you set it up so the ssd drive is os and hdd is everything else. Is it easy? Do i need another program to do it?

IIRC, some ssds have unused blocks of memory to replace bad ones, it increases the longevity, but means that drives are sold as 480gb instead of 512gb. I thought the drives just marked the overused sectors as 'bad' and then made some of the unused sectors usable.

i've had one ssd as my main os drive for a few years now, 50000+ hours of use on it, and it still runs fine. i'm assuming that only 8-16gb are actually going to go bad since most of the information on the drive never changes. the majority of the occupied space being static os files and programs i've saved, these never change and so it wouldn't have more than a few erase/rewrite cycles for the majority of the drive

thinking about this makes me want to get a speedy 32-64gb ssd for a cache/pagefile drive to increase the lifetime of my 480gb samsung ssd.

Thanks AMD_Man, I may try that with a ssd for the os and use the raptors for backup and programs. The only thing is how do you set it up so the ssd drive is os and hdd is everything else. Is it easy? Do i need another program to do it?
The best way to do that is by disconnecting everything but the SSD, install Windows and then once it's done, connect everything again normally. Just make sure the SSD is on port 0, so that your BIOS doesn't have trouble booting from it. Sometimes Windows will cancel the installation if that's not the case.

By the way, you should use the SSD for programs too, not the raptors. Use the raptors for files (videos, images and downloads) and documents.

It kind of cracks me up when I hear people talking about SSDs as "expensive". Yes, they are more expensive than a comparably sized HDD but when I think back to when I paid $500 for my first 20MB HDD, SSDs don't seem expensive at all!

The most often stated longevity number I've read regarding SSDs is that an SSD should last the average user around 8 years. On top of that, most users don't keep a drive or system that long so the SSD should more or less last thru the useful life of a system.

Dan - It's not difficult to separate out the OS and programs from the data. The easiest way to do it is to do a clean install of the OS and programs to the SSD, then backup all of the data from the HDD, format the HDD in order to clear out all the OS and Programs, then restore the data back to the freshly formatted HDD.

It kind of cracks me up when I hear people talking about SSDs as "expensive". Yes, they are more expensive than a comparably sized HDD but when I think back to when I paid $500 for my first 20MB HDD, SSDs don't seem expensive at all!
It's not that SSDs are expensive, but they are more expensive than HDDs, and that obviously worth noting.

If you compare the computer world from today to the one that existed 20 years ago, nothing could be considered expensive, but that's how progress works; what was worth 20$ yesterday can't even be used today because it's old and slow and unreliable. That doesn't stop you from saying "this is cheaper than this, and this is more expensive than this", specially when you are comparing similar characteristics, like the price per Gb in this case.

Expensive? You haven't seen the prices of the PCs in our yesteryears. You are vastly lucky my young friend.

Look at this:

Attachments

• 9ae1bc11625e5ca271973c34ed565b5e--radio-vintage-vintage-ads.jpg
    9ae1bc11625e5ca271973c34ed565b5e--radio-vintage-vintage-ads.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 2
  • extensys.jpg
    extensys.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 2
Expensive? You haven't seen the prices of the PCs in our yesteryears. You are vastly lucky my young friend.

Look at this:

I am aware of how the prices were back then, that's why I didn't say "that's expensive", but rather "that's more expensive than that other thing". Computers were a bigger deal then, now everyone takes them for granted.

Who knows, maybe some day we'll all have personal satellites and we will laugh about how impossible to buy they were in 2018... For now, I'm jsut grateful I don't have to sell my house to get 16Gb of main memory :)

LOL, I and my friend used to go to Air Force Base surplus store so we can get used 256K sticks for $20 each. We had 386s then.

Back
Top Bottom