Orgnizing folders in hierarchy, lost files

zillah

In Runtime
Dear Experts

For my work when i tried to organize folders one inside each other in a max 6 hierarchy folders (not files),,,,and I have got many of those hierarchy not only one.

Example below of the folders names on my hard drive D

STORAGE-> BUSINESS->ACCOUNTAN-WORK-->TEMPLATES-->MISCELLANEOUS-->PAYMENTS --> Then many files (doc, excel, web pages HTML, pdf,,,,,etc)

I copied and pasted the whole drive from one laptop to another when I change a company or change my laptop or or replace hard drive with bigger size,,,etc

Recently when I checked the D drive folders I realized some files are missing ,,,,that must have happened when I copied.

Did that happen because of hierarchy chain ? How to avoid that ? Alternative suggestion ?

Thanks

instead of just copying and pasting the whole drive, use something that clones the entire drive. it's been a while, but i think i used reflect. somebody else here probably has a more recent recommendation.

this is a weird one.

there is two ways that you can copy a file and it not be copied.
the first is that you interrupt it half way through copying loads of files, so it does not copy some files.

the other way is to do with file names, there is a maximum path + file name that can be stored on certain filesystems,
so d:\quitelong path\long filename.txt may not be able to be copied to:
d:\long path detailing where the files came from\quitelong path\long filename.txt

I really doubt that is why it happened, and even if it did, it tells you when it happens.

You probably shouldn't be taking files between companies, especially not payment or contract information.

Back
Top Bottom