Mobo fuse/blown issue. Advice needed urgently.

xxoperatorxx

Baseband Member
Hi all,

I hope this doesn't mean new mobo. Any and all advice appreciated.

I have recently moved to a new case and all is working fine except my two top exhaust fans. The one was spinning and leds were very dim and the other needed a nudge before spinning and leds also dim.

Both fans have a 2 pin led extension cable which originally was not plugged into anything.

This evening I plugged the 2 pin led cables into a molex to 4x 2 pin adapter.

The adapter currently has 2 other fans plugged into it, occupying 2 out of the four adapters. Those fans work perfectly.

The fan power of the fans in question are plugged into sysfan 2 and 3 on mobo.

Plugged power back into pc flipped power switch and when turning on I smelt burning plastic right away and flipped power switch off.

The smell was coming from, what looks like a burnt out or fused small Image1508884493.720446.jpg
chip on the bottom right hand corner of z97 gaming 5 mobo, between the usb mobo port and the sysfan 2 port.

I have attached pics and if you need me to clarify let me know. I am to scared to turn pc on what do I do? I hope I don't have to get new board. New ram and cpu will have to be bought Aswell then.

Please help!!Image1508884536.156039.jpg

Well... burning stuff is never good. You should maybe contact the manufacturer and see what kind of response you get. All motherboards are different, so knowing what each resistance does is a bit tricky. I think they could help you better.

Good plan will do that. Turned pc on and all seems fine. Performance looks normal. Hopefully it was a non essential Chip Bit nervous to plug fan back in. But will contact me msi

Good plan will do that. Turned pc on and all seems fine. Performance looks normal. Hopefully it was a non essential Chip Bit nervous to plug fan back in. But will contact me msi
Whatever you did before that happened, do not do it again. Explain the manufacturer what that was and they'll (hopefully) give you a solution.

Response to my query posed to MSI:

"[FONT=&quot]Regarding your concern,we consulted the relevant department,yes,the burnt chip is related to the System fan2 connector,in this case,if the chip is short circuited,it maybe will damage the motherboard,so,we suggest you contact your reseller (The place you bought this MB from),then ask for some help.If the reseller for some reason cannot help, we have to ask you to contact MSI distributor or MSI Office near your place to seek further help. If you really do not want to RMA the motherboard, please use a tool to scrap the chip from the motherboard, make sure there are no residues on the motherboard."[/FONT]

---------- Post added at 06:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 AM ----------

What tool can I use to scrape the chip from mobo? i assume i will have to go fram back side and get rid of solder points or what?

I suggest you ask someone experienced and trust worthy in electrical works to scrap it out for you and make sure no short is there. Also remove the fan pins or mark it somehow so they are never used again. Maybe that last move could be enough at worst case scenario.

Dealing with this issue does not have a certain outcome. Be careful what you do.

agreed got a mate who is an electrical engineer so going give him a call and see if he can sort it out. Getting in touch with retailer as well maybe they will replace/repair. Bent the sysfan2 header pins, so wont be used. will just have to make do with sysfan 1 and 3.

That's a pretty awesome response from MSI,

Tells you exactly what you need to know :)
I assume you are going with the remove the chip option, - you'll probably want a soldering iron, (possibly a hot air one) for this.

Back
Top Bottom